The World According to Nick
My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.
Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Another Blow for Freedom and Personal Safety 

The state Assembly fell two votes short today in an attempt to override Doyle's veto of the Personal Protection Act, which would have allowed concealed carry of hand guns. I'm disappointed, but certainly not surprised.

All Republicans voted for the override; they were joined by Democratic Reps. Barbara Gronemus of Whitehall, Mary Hubler of Rice Lake, Marlin Schneider of Wisconsin Rapids and Amy Sue Vruwink of Milladore.

The Republicans needed 66 votes, or a two-thirds majority, to override the veto.

Democratic Reps. Terry Van Akkeren of Sheboygan and John Steinbrink of Pleasant Prairie were the deciding votes. Both earlier had voted for the bill, but switched and backed Doyle on the override attempt. Rep. Joe Parisi (D-Madison) did not vote.

I'm curious what made those two change their mind, and not back the override. I wonder what Doyle promised them?

Comments:

Post a Comment

About Me



Name: Nick
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States

I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.


 View My Profile

Archives
 Home Page

Subscribe to this Feed

Search Archives
Previous Posts
Slow News Day
Opening Up China Leads to Armageddon
More Proof For Ann's Theory
In Case You're Curious
Strangely Accurate Actually
Google Will Rule the World
Not a New Theory
Tag... I'm It
Sorry For the Late Notice
A Brief Conversation With My Toilet Bowl

Personal Links
Carnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey
del.icio.us Links
Flickr Photos
Blog Critics Reviews





Blogroll Me!

music
books
video
culture
politics
sports
gaming

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nick_Schweitzer. Make your own badge here.

Credits

Blogcritics: news and reviews







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

RSS-to-JavaScript.com

Listed on BlogShares

Design By maystar