The World According to Nick
My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.
Monday, May 09, 2005

This Seems Strange to Me 

Without getting into religious arguments, or delving into evolution vs. creationism... I just want to point out how strange this seems to me:

Scientists have refused to participate in state Board of Education hearings this past week on how the theory of evolution should be treated in public schools, but they haven't exactly been silent.

About a dozen scientists, most from Kansas universities, spoke each day at news conferences after evolution critics testified before a board subcommittee. They expect to continue speaking out as the hearings wrap up on Thursday.

"They're in, they do their shtick, and they're out," said Keith Miller, a Kansas State University geologist. "I'm going to be here, and I'm not going to be quiet. We'll have the rest of our lives to make our points."

The scientists' boycott was led by the American Association for the Advancement of Science and Kansas Citizens for Science, which believe the hearings are rigged against the teaching of evolution.

Scientists said they don't see the need to cram their arguments into a few days of testimony, like out-of-state witnesses who were called by advocates of the "intelligent design" theory.

What seems strange to me is that an entire profession which constantly proposes theories, finds evidence either for or against those theories, and then has to back up their claims against rigorous scrutiny seems scared to be there. This sort of thing should be right up their alley. After all, even the most green PhD has had to defend a dissertation in front of a board. Boycotting a hearing like this seems very much unscientific. I'm surprised by it. I'm a firm believer in science, and I'm also a debater. I would have gone.

Comments:

Post a Comment

About Me



Name: Nick
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States

I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.


 View My Profile

Archives
 Home Page

Subscribe to this Feed

Search Archives
Previous Posts
Interesting Factoid
Happy Mother's Day
It's a Lottery Ticket
What's His Plan?
Real ID and Voter ID
It's a Secret Ballot
I'm Sorry... Your Gas Prices Are Too Low
Didn't Anyone Call the INS?
Did You Know...
The What?

Personal Links
Carnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey
del.icio.us Links
Flickr Photos
Blog Critics Reviews





Blogroll Me!

music
books
video
culture
politics
sports
gaming

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nick_Schweitzer. Make your own badge here.

Credits

Blogcritics: news and reviews







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

RSS-to-JavaScript.com

Listed on BlogShares

Design By maystar