The World According to Nick
My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.
Friday, May 06, 2005

I'm Sorry... Your Gas Prices Are Too Low 

So says the State of Maryland (H/T to The Volokh Conspiracy):

A gasoline price war erupted in St. Mary's County last week after one station slashed its price for regular to $1.999 a gallon and spurred three others to follow suit, giving drivers some hope of relief at the pump.

But the price dip proved fleeting.

Maryland regulators quickly stepped in and told the stations that their prices were too low. They needed to go up by 5 cents.

In as much time as it takes to fill the tank of an SUV, prices at BJ's Wholesale Club, Sheetz and two Wawa outlets bounced to $2.049 a gallon.

That's right... Maryland has a law which prevents gas stations from having price wars and going too low! Unfortunately for me, Wisconsin has a similar law. My family has recounted numerous stories over the years about some local gas stations who used to go to war with each other trying to out do each other to the bottom. Why on Earth would someone pass a law against this? Ask the independent gas station owners. I say if you can't compete, then you shouldn't survive. I want cheap gas. By the way, it's also illegal in Maryland to give away free coffee with a tank of gas. So much for market innovation.

Comments:

Post a Comment

About Me



Name: Nick
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States

I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.


 View My Profile

Archives
 Home Page

Subscribe to this Feed

Search Archives
Previous Posts
Didn't Anyone Call the INS?
Did You Know...
The What?
Google Will Rule the World
Rounding Out My Calendar
It's All About the Green
We're Probably In The Middle
Get Your Stories Straight
Hello is Awful Software
First Keep My Computer From Crashing

Personal Links
Carnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey
del.icio.us Links
Flickr Photos
Blog Critics Reviews





Blogroll Me!

music
books
video
culture
politics
sports
gaming

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nick_Schweitzer. Make your own badge here.

Credits

Blogcritics: news and reviews







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

RSS-to-JavaScript.com

Listed on BlogShares

Design By maystar