The World According to Nick
My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.
Sunday, May 08, 2005

It's a Lottery Ticket 

There has been a lot of attention lately among people regarding health insurance... most notably the idea that somehow everyone should have it. Somehow we've gotten this idea in our head that health insurance is a right. While I can understand the thinking... I also look at that idea as contrary to the definition of insurance.

Insurance is a lottery ticket. You pay some amount of money regularly, betting that you will be hurt later on in a way that will cost you more money than you paid. If you constantly pay your premiums, but never get hurt, you lose (at least monetarily speaking). If you get in an accident, or fall seriously ill and end up in the hospital, then you win. It's really just another distribution scheme. All those people who pay in and never get hurt pay for the people who do get hurt. Of course, the insurance companies take a cut for their services as well. It seems rather obvious, yet still is a concept few understand.

But what if you don't buy insurance? Are you truly deprived of health care as so many make it sound? All those unemployed people, or part time people who don't get insurance as part of their compensation... what of them? They can always buy insurance on their own... or the can go without. It just means that you're buying a different lottery ticket. You're betting that you won't get seriously ill. I say seriously ill... because you can still go to a doctor. If you're not forking over several hundred dollars over to an insurance company every month, that means you can probably afford $100 for a doctor's appointment for a checkup. Theres nothing wrong with that, despite what so many say about how these people go without even the most basic health care. In fact, I think that there are advantages to it. Vermont is seeking to remove that choice from people (H/T to Bebere). Someone who chooses to not pay for insurance if they don't get it as part of a job, will be forced to enroll in their state health plan according to one plan being proposed in their legislature. Of course it will be highly subsidized by the taxpayer... you know... the folks who also pay for their own insurance. In other words... they're not only paying for their own ticket, they're buying someone else's lottery ticket as well.

I'm quickly reminded of my experience with the medical profession earlier this year. It's now been several months, and I still haven't received a bill for the services I received... even though I know I will have to pay at least a portion. Never fear however, I have so far received 3 invoices labeled quite clearly "This is not a bill". Three of them. So where's the damn bill? And here in lies the reason why costs are so high. Well... it's one of two primary reasons.

People Are Too Far Removed From the Cost: I fear any "reform plan" that does not make the consumer more responsible for the cost of their health care in some fashion. I'm a big fan of Medial Savings Accounts in combination with a hospital emergency insurance plan for this reason. Making a person responsible for the cost of some of their health care is important because it will force consumers to question the cost of their health care. Why did you order that extra test? Why does that doctor cost so much more than that other doctor? People don't ask now because they don't have to. Their insurance will cover it after all. The government coming in and trying to fix prices won't do any good. Only consumers, with freedom of choice, and their loud voice can really bring medical costs under control. Most importantly... going to the doctor shouldn't be seen as trying to "make the most of your insurance". Going too often for no real reason at all can be just as costly. Feel free to voice irrational fears of people afraid to go the doctor if they're truly sick here.

Malpractice Has to Come Under Control: One jury award at a time we have raised the cost of malpractice insurance to astronomical heights, and it's killing the medical profession. Why did they order that test? Because if I didn't, you might sue me for $100 million in a few months. Even if a doctor did everything he should have, he could still be responsible for the result... because someone should pay for what happened to you. Thanks John Edwards. I've only been a juror in one trial (a criminal trial)... but I would love to find myself on a malpractice jury. Pain and suffering awards are way out of hand. So are the prominence of so called experts who draw erroneous links based on junk science. It may sound cold, but the reality is that few people's pain and suffering is worth what is given in those trials. Even worse is the fact that people don't seem to understand that this money is coming from somewhere. It's coming from their own pockets. They just don't realize it since they don't pay the direct bill.

Insurance companies have been stigmatized over the last several years as these evil corporations that care nothing about real people. I can understand how that has come about. They do seem cold... but I can say from first hand experience (my current client is an insurance company) that this has nothing to do with cruelty. It's cold, hard statistics pure and simple. Most of the insurance industry is mind numbingly boring... controlled by statistics and actuarial tables... based on real outlays for what the medical care you undergo every year. Well... that and hundreds of distinct laws enforced by every state that the companies have to abide by. They are dizzying, confusing, and costly to keep straight. But of course, the government never does wrong... right?

Comments:

Excelent post Nick.

Actually no one goes without medical care if it is really needed. Three years ago I was layed off (for the first time in more years than I can count) and drawing unemployment for the first time in my life, and without insurance. During this time I went to the emergency room because I thought I had cronic heartburn. Next thing I knew they were hauling me into surgery and did five-bypass heart surgery, and I ended up with $84,000 in medical bills.

Because I was unemployable at the time and no income (unemployment stops if you can't look for work), the entire amout was paid by a hospital connected charity. Not that the poor can always get their medical bills paid off like that, but my main point is that if medical care is truely needed, it will not be refused to anyone that needs it.

To listen to the talking heads you would think they are just going to turn you away if you don't have insurance or the cash. That is not the case.


Sandi

  Posted at May 08, 2005 2:53 PM by Anonymous Anonymous  
The larger point I wanted to make here was that providing insurance to everyone stops making it insurance. If everyone has it, and the government collects it... it's called a tax.

Really that's all insurance is (besides a lottery ticket), is a voluntary private tax. What many want to do is to make it a required government tax. Go figure.

  Posted at May 10, 2005 9:25 AM by Blogger Nick  
Don't forget the concept of marginal utility of wealth when discussing insurance. Your first dollars, which fund your food and shelter, are much more important than the later dollars, which fund movies and eating out. You can much more afford $100 a month, which comes from your discretionary spending, than you could afford one $10,000 bill, which would impact your ability to pay for basic needs.

  Posted at May 11, 2005 12:44 PM by Blogger Greg  
Unfortunately I don't agree with you.

Health Care is a necessity for every individal in that it is not necessarily a lottery ticket. A person's health is much more precious than any lottery ticket. In fact, being sick (a negative) is not a reward.

So, having said that. There are many who need health insurance when they are poor and ALREADY have chronic disease needing expensive medications. What would you have them do?

Even basic health MAINTENANCE bills can get out of hand. For example, every person should undergo a screening colonoscopy at 50 years old. Ever tried paying for a colonoscopy yourself, plus the anesthesia. It's not $100.

So, health insurance is NOT like a lottery ticket. because if you win this lottery- you die.

sounds like a really cruel lottery that i would want no part of.

  Posted at May 12, 2005 3:08 AM by Blogger Internal Medicine Doctor  
Mad House,

At the point you're talking about however... it's no longer insurance. It's health care.

I'm talking about how we pay for health care if you're not poor. The problem is that by giving poor people health "insurance"... you're essentially giving them something for absolutely free that I have to pay full price for. And frankly that bothers me.

Should we help poor people who are sick? Absolutely. Should I have to pay for the same luxious care that I receive because I pay for insurance... absolutely not. I work hard in order to afford that luxury. If they can get it for nothing... then I might as well quit my job and become poor - it's a hell of a lot easier.

  Posted at May 12, 2005 8:22 AM by Blogger Nick  
Unfortunately, you're right.

I'm a physician in a city hospital. do you knnow the best insurances in the world? it's medicaid and medicare.

I even know people who hand money over to their kids to hide it so that they'd qualify for medicaid.

Bet you didn't know this existed, did you?

  Posted at May 12, 2005 7:16 PM by Blogger Internal Medicine Doctor  
Nothing surprises me anymore Mad House.

  Posted at May 12, 2005 8:05 PM by Blogger Nick  
Post a Comment

About Me



Name: Nick
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States

I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.


 View My Profile

Archives
 Home Page

Subscribe to this Feed

Search Archives
Previous Posts
What's His Plan?
Real ID and Voter ID
It's a Secret Ballot
I'm Sorry... Your Gas Prices Are Too Low
Didn't Anyone Call the INS?
Did You Know...
The What?
Google Will Rule the World
Rounding Out My Calendar
It's All About the Green

Personal Links
Carnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey
del.icio.us Links
Flickr Photos
Blog Critics Reviews





Blogroll Me!

music
books
video
culture
politics
sports
gaming

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nick_Schweitzer. Make your own badge here.

Credits

Blogcritics: news and reviews







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

RSS-to-JavaScript.com

Listed on BlogShares

Design By maystar