The World According to Nick
My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.
Friday, May 06, 2005

It's a Secret Ballot 

Tom Paine has yet another column on how Ohio wasn't stolen in 2004 (H/T to Michelle Malkin):

Liddle explained to me that, since 1988 at least, voter sampling has consistently over-polled Democrats. I've heard a variety of explanations for this, but in general, it's not hard to imagine that Democrats might be at least marginally more inclined to explain their political decisions to exit pollsters, who, after all, are representatives of the often-reviled "liberal" media.

In fact, it seems that Republican voters are overall slightly less likely to accurately express their preferences to in-person interviewers, even in precincts where they constitute a sizable majority. For fairly complex reasons, a slight undersampling of Bush voters produces a larger gap between exit polls and final results in (A) evenly split precincts than in highly partisan precincts, and in (B) highly Republican precincts than in highly Democratic precincts. Not knowing this, says Liddle, one could look at certain precincts and immediately, if incorrectly, smell something foul.

First of all... why is it that people have to keep bringing this up? Honestly... the election is over... Bush is making decisions. It's done. However, more than that I'm always enamored by how people think that exit polls are somehow more reliable than... well... the actual polls. Only one counts every single vote (insert complaint about hanging chads and disenfranchisement here)... the other just samples. Only a desperate person would look at the discrepancy of exit polls and polling booths and decide that we need to re-examine the polling booths. I say if there's a discrepancy, it's time to re-examine exit polls.

But onto the discussion of how you sample, which is what Tom Paine talks about. He talks about the fact that Democrats tend to be over sampled in these polls which skews them. This seems utterly obvious to me, just by examining the general profile of someone who votes Democrat vs. someone who votes Republican. Democrats tend to be activists more often than Republicans. Activists love to tell you what they're thinking and why, which is what exit pollsters want to hear. Republicans tend more often than Democrats to be secretive about their decisions. I think they're more apt to say "It's none of your business."

In fact I can say it's probably the earliest voting experience I have in my memory. I can still remember my dad taking me with him when he voted in California once when I was a kid. As we left the local Baptist church where he voted, he was approached by an exit pollster... and that was exactly what he said... "It's none of your business". As we walked away, he told me "That's the best response you can give them. It's a secret ballot for a reason." That has always stuck with me... some 20 years later. Granted we don't live in Cuba, where making the wrong vote can get you shot... but I still think the secret ballot is the most important tenet of our democracy. Only when you are behind that curtain, private in your thoughts and decisions, are you truly fee to make your choice. Exit pollsters seek to take away that freedom, and for that reason scares away many people, probably more conservative than liberal. Besides... does nobody think that people lie to pollsters just to fuck with them... or am I the only one who does that?

Comments:

Febble,

I don't have the links readily at hand, and don't have time to search right now... but I've read several things that have talked about how this was not a one time occurrance. The last 3 or 4 elections have been off... it's just been getting worse ever time... I think gradually as they've tried to compensate. They've just compensated innacurately.

The other issue to consider is that the electorate is not static. People and populations change their politics. It's very possible, and some statistics bear me out here, that the population has been shifting to the right subtly in a lot of areas. However, we still sample as if they're further to the left... not compensating for that shift.

  Posted at May 12, 2005 8:25 AM by Blogger Nick  
Post a Comment

About Me



Name: Nick
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States

I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.


 View My Profile

Archives
 Home Page

Subscribe to this Feed

Search Archives
Previous Posts
I'm Sorry... Your Gas Prices Are Too Low
Didn't Anyone Call the INS?
Did You Know...
The What?
Google Will Rule the World
Rounding Out My Calendar
It's All About the Green
We're Probably In The Middle
Get Your Stories Straight
Hello is Awful Software

Personal Links
Carnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey
del.icio.us Links
Flickr Photos
Blog Critics Reviews





Blogroll Me!

music
books
video
culture
politics
sports
gaming

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nick_Schweitzer. Make your own badge here.

Credits

Blogcritics: news and reviews







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

RSS-to-JavaScript.com

Listed on BlogShares

Design By maystar