The World According to Nick
My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.
Sunday, December 19, 2004

Sign Here Please 

So I've been doing some Christmas shopping this weekend. I went to a couple of different places that make you use an electronic pen/pad system when you pay by credit card. I hate these things. Personally, I don't see the point. I find it interesting as I think about it, that I always seem to end up coming out anti-technology with this sort of thing, even though I'm a computer geek. Here's why I hate them.

Reason 1: My signature looks nothing like my signature on these things. A signature is not only supposed to be an acceptance of terms, it's also a form of authentication. If the device makes my signature look nothing like my actual signature, then what's the point? In fact, at Office Max, the cashier said "Sign in the box without placing your hand on the screen". What's worse, the stupid screen is 6 inches off the counter. That's why it looks so terrible. My hand was in an incredible awkward position. If you want my signature to even look vaguely like my actual signature, then inset the electronic pad in the counter surface. Otherwise give me the paper to sign.

Reason 2: I hate the idea of my signature being digitally stored. That means that someone could reproduce it way too easily. I suppose I shouldn't actually be too concerned about this (see Reason 1), but it still bothers me.

I'll have some more politically relevant posts during the week I think... I'm sort of taking it easy right now.

Comments:

I can't help with Reason 2. That sort of sucks. Especially with my Reason 1 comment.

Reason 1: Sears (ok, as far as I know it is only the Sears closest to me) has just installed new signature pads. I was completely surprised when I signed my name and it actually looked like my signature.

  Posted at December 20, 2004 2:35 PM by Anonymous Anonymous  
I hate electronic pads. I used to have to sign for a lot of things in work off delivery guys, and I always hated the ones with the "modern" way of signing for goods.

My signature looked like arabic or something. What was wrong with pen and paper?

Chris

  Posted at December 22, 2004 8:51 PM by Blogger C  
Post a Comment

About Me



Name: Nick
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States

I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.


 View My Profile

Archives
 Home Page

Subscribe to this Feed

Search Archives
Previous Posts
Even More Blog Rolling
The New Swear
Lego Logic
The Other Nick Schweitzer
The Matrix
Rachel Lucas Has Moved
Is Anyone Else Surprised?
Whose Project Is This?
Also Ran
We Own You

Personal Links
Carnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey
del.icio.us Links
Flickr Photos
Blog Critics Reviews





Blogroll Me!

music
books
video
culture
politics
sports
gaming

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nick_Schweitzer. Make your own badge here.

Credits

Blogcritics: news and reviews







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

RSS-to-JavaScript.com

Listed on BlogShares

Design By maystar