The World According to Nick
My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.
Monday, December 13, 2004

Whose Project Is This? 

A good friend of our family (who shall remain nameless) used to work at the Wisconsin DOT. Whenever there was major construction somewhere that annoyed us, we'd always ask "So... is that your project?" Every time he'd reply no. Finally I asked:

Me: What is your project?
Him: I actually don't have project. I'm a DM.
Me: What is a DM?
Him: A Designated Meeter.

He no longer works at the DOT... which means that I can't yell at him for the crap going on surrounding the rebuild of the Marquette Interchange. In a sheer flash of brilliance I'm sure, not only has the DOT decided to rebuild arguably the busiest interchange in the state (which it badly needed)... but they've decided to simultaneously rebuild secondary roads and bridges that also go to downtown Milwaukee (where I work).

So, when I-94 is insanely busy or partially closed, could I take Well's Street? Of course not, for they have just torn down the bridge that crosses I-43. Could I take Wisconsin Ave? I suppose I could, but they're randomly shutting down half the lanes for utility work. Could I take Highland Ave? Sure... except they're rebuilding a large chunk of that too, and it's only one lane... with tons of construction traffic. I suppose State St. could be an option... except it's one way going the wrong direction where I need it to cross I-43. I know... Vliet St! Doh... that bridge got torn down too.

Whose project is this?! I want names... Now! What lousy excuse for a civil engineer came up with this plan? We're running out of roads.

Comments:

It's widely known that a lousy excuse for a civil engineer came up with the entire Milwaukee freeway system. Civil engineers have been brought to Milwaukee to learn how NOT to build highways.

  Posted at December 13, 2004 10:21 PM by Anonymous Anonymous  
Well... no argument there. Although, in all fairness... the main freeways (the box if you will) is pretty good. What they screwed up royally was having about 3 incomplete freeway sections that don't really go anywhere. They've recently torn down one of those stubs... and I'm sure they're wondering what to do with the others.

The box is fine, the other stuff was not designed well at all. Blame it on Henry Maier... who was the mayor at the time.

To see what the freeway system was designed to look like when they thought it up in the 60's... take a look at this graphic.

  Posted at December 13, 2004 11:05 PM by Blogger Nick  
Post a Comment

About Me



Name: Nick
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States

I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.


 View My Profile

Archives
 Home Page

Subscribe to this Feed

Search Archives
Previous Posts
Also Ran
We Own You
More Blog Rolling
Don't Let the Name Fool You
The Constitutionality of Black Boxes
Oh Christmas Tree
Blog Rolling
Good News and Bad News
Geek Birth Control
You Know You're a Geek When

Personal Links
Carnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey
del.icio.us Links
Flickr Photos
Blog Critics Reviews





Blogroll Me!

music
books
video
culture
politics
sports
gaming

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nick_Schweitzer. Make your own badge here.

Credits

Blogcritics: news and reviews







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

RSS-to-JavaScript.com

Listed on BlogShares

Design By maystar