The World According to Nick
My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.
Sunday, December 12, 2004

Don't Let the Name Fool You 

The other day I happened to be surfing the channels and saw this show on the Discovery Channel where they were building custom bikes. It wasn't American Chopper (which I like to watch), it was something else. They were featuring a bike shop called Milwaukee Iron. I live in a suburb of Milwaukee, and had never heard of them... so I started watching.

As I watched more, they would show shots of the outside of the shop. There was a lot of farm country around, and I thought, where the hell is this place? There are no farms left in Milwaukee. Granted you don't have to travel too far in any direction to find a farm around outside the city, but there are no farms in Milwaukee (contrary to popular belief I'm sure).

I kept watching a little longer, and realized that all the guys in the shop had very southern accents. We're talking a bunch of Good 'ol Boys here. Then a commercial came, and when the show came back, I saw that it was called "Southern Steel". Southern? Milwaukee is in Wisconsin... which is definitely not in the south. What's going on here?

So I went to their website. They're located in Lynchburg Virginia. So if you happen to watch the show, don't think that this is what Milwaukee is like. In case you're curious, Milwaukee Iron is another name for a Harley Davidson (which is made in Milwaukee). Don't let the name fool you.

They built a pretty cool bike though.

Comments:

Post a Comment

About Me



Name: Nick
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States

I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.


 View My Profile

Archives
 Home Page

Subscribe to this Feed

Search Archives
Previous Posts
The Constitutionality of Black Boxes
Oh Christmas Tree
Blog Rolling
Good News and Bad News
Geek Birth Control
You Know You're a Geek When
The Book Stack
Not So Classified Documents
WTF?!
Racially Offensive Computer Terms

Personal Links
Carnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey
del.icio.us Links
Flickr Photos
Blog Critics Reviews





Blogroll Me!

music
books
video
culture
politics
sports
gaming

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nick_Schweitzer. Make your own badge here.

Credits

Blogcritics: news and reviews







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

RSS-to-JavaScript.com

Listed on BlogShares

Design By maystar