The World According to Nick
My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.
Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Emergency! Just Kidding 

I just received a forwarded email from my team lead. She didn't know if I was on the original mailing list (which I was not), so she decided to pass it along. I include it here verbatim with only the relevant names removed to protect the innocent:

From: ******, ******
Sent: Wednesday, December 22, 2004 9:04 AM
To: ************
Subject: IMPORTANT INFO
Importance: High

Happy Holidays!

It has been decided by Management that the week of 12/27 will be comfort casual.

Look... I'm all for comfort casual... but a High Importance email with a subject line in all caps? When I first saw that email from her in my inbox, I thought... Oh My God! What's gone wrong?! I talked about this a while ago, and it's worth repeating. If you over use the little ! button in Outlook nobody will pay attention to it any more. Also... most people perceive all caps as the email equivalent to yelling. Use cautiously.

Comments:

If you're using Outlook, you can set up a rule. For other email programs, there's probably something equivalent.
Whever a message arrives that is marked as high importance (aka !), permanently delete it.
You'll probably lose 1 email a year that you'll wish you hadn't.
Alternatively, just put them in a separate folder to look at when you're bored. Screening of this folder should take no more than 1 minute a week.

  Posted at December 23, 2004 12:07 PM by Anonymous Anonymous  
Post a Comment

About Me



Name: Nick
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States

I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.


 View My Profile

Archives
 Home Page

Subscribe to this Feed

Search Archives
Previous Posts
You Weren't Supposed to Pick Me
United We Stand
The Japanese Need More Sex
Pay No Attention to the Man Behind the Curtain
Sign Here Please
Even More Blog Rolling
The New Swear
Lego Logic
The Other Nick Schweitzer
The Matrix

Personal Links
Carnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey
del.icio.us Links
Flickr Photos
Blog Critics Reviews





Blogroll Me!

music
books
video
culture
politics
sports
gaming

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nick_Schweitzer. Make your own badge here.

Credits

Blogcritics: news and reviews







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

RSS-to-JavaScript.com

Listed on BlogShares

Design By maystar