The World According to Nick
My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.
Thursday, May 13, 2004

Low Priority 

We are in the middle of supporting a hugely important trade show in Germany. My boss is there right now, and I wanted to send him an email about something before it slipped my mind. Of course it has nothing to do with the show, and in fact could really wait for quite a while. But I needed to send the email now or else I would completely forget, and probably never send it at all.

Then I looked up at the toolbar in Outlook and saw it... that little blue downward pointing arrow, which marks an email as low priority, and it suddenly dawned on me. I don't think I've ever maked an email as being low priority before. I rarely ever mark my emails as high priority either... but I know I've at least sent a few. I've received a lot of high priority emails as well. In fact, most of the emails I receive as high priority are not high priority at all. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that I'm not sure I've ever received a low priority email from anyone ever before.

So what does that say about how we view ourselves? Do we all subconsiously look at ourselves as being more important than we are, so that nothing that comes from our email could ever be *gasp* low priority? And what is it about some people that they think that some mindless drivel they write is actually important to someone else?

I don't have a point really... just more of a thought dump. If I did have a point, I suppose it would be that people should mark more emails as low priority. Maybe I should find a way to mark my blog as low priority? Nah, its too important for that. :)

Comments:

Post a Comment

About Me



Name: Nick
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States

I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.


 View My Profile

Archives
 Home Page

Subscribe to this Feed

Search Archives
Previous Posts
What a Way to Start a Morning
Kerry MIA Again
Blogger Update
Being Unemployed in the Summer
It Can't Make Toast... But It Can Order Pizza
Hard to Manage a Server
Programming with Perspective
Dear John. We're thru :-(
And I'm Really Queen Elizabeth
HotSpot Haven

Personal Links
Carnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey
del.icio.us Links
Flickr Photos
Blog Critics Reviews





Blogroll Me!

music
books
video
culture
politics
sports
gaming

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nick_Schweitzer. Make your own badge here.

Credits

Blogcritics: news and reviews







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

RSS-to-JavaScript.com

Listed on BlogShares

Design By maystar