The World According to Nick
My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.
Monday, May 02, 2005

A Second Career? 

It's good to know that if I ever get sick of my current job... I can always get a new one:

Computer programmer Steve Relles has the poop on what to do when your job is outsourced to India.

Relles, one of a rising number of Americans seeking new opportunities as their work shifts to countries with cheaper labor, has spent the past year making his living scooping up dog droppings as the "Delmar Dog Butler."

"My parents paid for me to get a (degree) in math and now I am a pooper scooper," Relles, a 42-year-old married father of two told Reuters. "I can clean four to five yards in a hour if they are close together."
...
"It sure beats computer programming because it's flexible, and I get to be outside," he said.

There are no words.

Comments:

The career-change example you cite is a bit extreme, maybe, but it is a good idea to keep in mind that you'll probably end up having to change careers at least once, perhaps two-three-four times in your life. (I've done so now twice since college)

There are certain areas that can't be outsourced. Higher level analysis jobs probably will stick around. This is why I'm counselling a developer friend to get more involved in management training (and other things) with his company.

It's tiring, but, well, you can always rest when you're dead.

  Posted at May 03, 2005 8:53 AM by Blogger Be  
Post a Comment

About Me



Name: Nick
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States

I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.


 View My Profile

Archives
 Home Page

Subscribe to this Feed

Search Archives
Previous Posts
Training Tip
The Woman Has Balls
This Blows My Mind
What a Morning
The Wind Blowing
Blog Rolling
Google's Solution
Can You See My Nipples Through This Shirt?
Are They Biodegradable?
Put the Blame Where it Belongs

Personal Links
Carnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey
del.icio.us Links
Flickr Photos
Blog Critics Reviews





Blogroll Me!

music
books
video
culture
politics
sports
gaming

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nick_Schweitzer. Make your own badge here.

Credits

Blogcritics: news and reviews







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

RSS-to-JavaScript.com

Listed on BlogShares

Design By maystar