The World According to Nick
My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.
Saturday, February 19, 2005

WTMJ News Should Be Ashamed of Themselves 

I just finished watching the first two minutes of the 6 o'clock news on Milwaukee's WTMJ Channel 4 news (the local NBC affiliate). That's all I watched, because as soon as I saw the absolutely disgusting display they put on, I refused to watch any more. In fact, I refuse to watch their news broadcast ever again, and I suggest you do the same if you live in Milwaukee. I honestly can't say that I've ever been so angered and appalled by the treatment of a news story in Milwaukee in all my life. I was absolutely infuriated.

They opened up their report with a local father in tears... crying his eyes out over the death of his son this morning. I don't think I've ever seen such a display of pain before... it was absolutely heart retching. But before they told the story of what actually happened, I heard this voice over. "But before we bring you rest of the story, we have a breaking news with the weather team, there is a Winter Weather Advisory for tonight and tomorrow morning." (That's a paraphrase, but is close). Then they broke to one of their weathermen who started to talk about it.

In what twisted world could you possibly live where you find weather more important? You showed this man in tears... showed his suffering... you use it to tease your news cast and then you break for the weather?! You disgust me. I would say that it is disrespectful to the father, and to his slain son... but disrespect does not begin to convey what you have done.

I immediately switched to WISN Channel 12 (the local ABC news affiliate) where they were actually talking about the story... and giving it the respectful coverage that it deserved. No weather. Just this father talking about how his son was trying to break up a fight in his bar, and then was killed for his trouble. I'll link to an online version of the story when I can find one.

If I were Journal Communications, Inc... I would seriously consider rethinking the producers of your television news programs. It was absolutely shameful. Never again will I watch their news broadcast.

Update: Here is the story from JS Online. Also, I take back all the nice things I said about WISN Channel 12. At 10:00 last night, they did the same despicable thing. In fact, every station last night teased this tragic story, then broke for the weather. What is the matter with you people? This is Wisconsin. It snows. This is not news. We can wait 5 minutes to find out there will be 3 inches of it when we wake up. If you honestly think that the weather is more important, than lead with it outright. But don't disrespect a man in pain like that by interrupting his story with the weather.

Comments:

Post a Comment

About Me



Name: Nick
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States

I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.


 View My Profile

Archives
 Home Page

Subscribe to this Feed

Search Archives
Previous Posts
/\/\y 1337 5x1||z rox0rs
This Scares Me
Next He'll Want Editorial Approval
Dumb as a ...
You Smell Great
Can Someone Explain This to Me?
License to Fly
In My Car? I Don't Think So
Dying Can't Feel Good Though
30 Minutes Too Slow?

Personal Links
Carnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey
del.icio.us Links
Flickr Photos
Blog Critics Reviews





Blogroll Me!

music
books
video
culture
politics
sports
gaming

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nick_Schweitzer. Make your own badge here.

Credits

Blogcritics: news and reviews







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

RSS-to-JavaScript.com

Listed on BlogShares

Design By maystar