The World According to Nick
My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.
Thursday, February 17, 2005

Can Someone Explain This to Me? 

My mother retired from her job a couple years ago... and I've been pushing her to get involved in something to take up her spare time. Prior to this she's been concentrating on taking care of her Aunt, which is important... but it seemed like her life was revolving pretty heavily around that. Recently she inquired up at the public library to see if they had volunteer positions. Her neighbor works up there and was talking about how they are always in need. My aunt (my mom's sister in law in law in law... or something like that) also works at a local hospital, and my mom inquired there about volunteering too.

So she got a call back from the hospital yesterday. Of course it's not a simple as my mom was originally thinking. There is a ton of stuff you have to do to get to be a hospital volunteer. Among other things she needs a note from her doctor... probably saying that she's not diseased... and probably also not at high risk for catching something. She needs a reference who is not a relative... makes sense. She also needed to give them her social security number. Why? According to the person on the phone, it's required by the Dept. of Homeland Security.

I could understand if they required a background check... but then you say it's for a background check. What on Earth does the Dept. of Homeland Security have to do with volunteering at a hospital?! Can someone who knows please clue me in?

Comments:

Post a Comment

About Me



Name: Nick
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States

I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.


 View My Profile

Archives
 Home Page

Subscribe to this Feed

Search Archives
Previous Posts
License to Fly
In My Car? I Don't Think So
Dying Can't Feel Good Though
30 Minutes Too Slow?
How Do You Define Binge Drinking?
I'm Not Bitter
How Prophetic
Now That's Cold
Car Blogging
What Happened to Tongue Tied?

Personal Links
Carnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey
del.icio.us Links
Flickr Photos
Blog Critics Reviews





Blogroll Me!

music
books
video
culture
politics
sports
gaming

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nick_Schweitzer. Make your own badge here.

Credits

Blogcritics: news and reviews







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

RSS-to-JavaScript.com

Listed on BlogShares

Design By maystar