The World According to Nick
My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.
Thursday, February 17, 2005

This Scares Me 

I'll start with a story. When I was on the high school debate team, our assistant coach Tom had a genetic neurological condition (and to be honest I don't remember the specific one) that rendered him unable to use his legs. He was a great coach, and got around independently. He had a special car with a motorcycle grip for steering and braking on the left side, and a suicide ball on the steering wheel to make it easier to steer with his right hand. He was actually an excellent driver (I rode with him on many occasions to tournaments), even if he did have a lead hand.

Then there is this woman featured in an article in last Sunday's Journal:

But the two words take on a different meaning for me when I meet Michelle Kearney, a courageous 37-year-old West Allis woman born without arms or legs.
...
Last month her wheelchair rolled across a stage at Lambeau Field, where she was selected first runner-up in the Ms. Wheelchair Wisconsin Pageant.

On this night she rolls up to the Journal Sentinel in her specially equipped 2002 Dodge Caravan, which she's been driving legally for about a year.
...
Michelle's driving her high-tech van across the Sixth Street Viaduct. The steering wheel turns as we enter the round-about but there aren't any hands holding it.

Her right shoulder fits into a small cup attached to a joystick, with which she steers and applies the gas and brakes. A small electronic screen fastened to a pole in the van rests just below her jaw. The screen has icons for 36 functions, including park and reverse.

She works the screen with a pen she holds in her mouth. Function buttons on the left door panel, she works with her left shoulder.

I don't mean to sound insensitive... but are you kidding me?! States and cities are outlawing cell phones because they are afraid they are too much a distraction, but this woman is driving around steering with her shoulder?! We have states that are trying to force the elderly to have to take road tests more often to show that they still have the reaction time to drive... how good is her reaction time? If a child runs into the middle of the road... can she swerve out of the way... or brake in time?

I understand that this woman has overcome a lot. The story is amazing to read... especially the different things she has managed to do in her life. It is inspirational really. But when I saw that she goes down the 6th St. Viaduct... which is really close to where I work... I'm sorry... I don't think so. Take away the keys.

In fact... I'd be willing to start a fund if people are interested to get this woman some sort of taxi service to transport her to and from work every day if that's what it will take to get her off the road. This frankly just seems dangerous.

Update: I was thinking on my way to work this morning as I kept an eye out for her van in certain fear for my life... how much does her insurance cost? Even more importantly... does her insurance company even know? Would she be under any obligation to share that information with an insurance company? Would they be allowed to deny her coverage or modify her rate based on her disability?

Comments:

Not that this says much, but I'm sure that she's got a much better reaction time than most in my neck of the woods.

  Posted at February 18, 2005 10:15 AM by Blogger Be  
Most drivers in my daily commute are driving without a brain! Seems that driving becomes secondary to critical, high priority activities in the car such as loading a CD, reading, eating, gawking at accidents and talking to people on the cell. People without physical disabilities tend to judge others by their own 'able-bodied' physical structure. Does this mean that one of short stature may be less qualified to drive although he/she passed the drivers test with flying colors? So where do we make the driver height 'cutoff point', 5'6" 5'7"? Let's steer clear of those we see driving with glasses, or the loud stereo cause we know he can't hear me coming. I say, if the girl can pass the driving test, then I’d ride with her all day long.

  Posted at February 25, 2005 2:33 PM by Anonymous Anonymous  
She probably drives safer than you do. Usually people with dissabilities are more aware of what they can and can not do than able body people.

  Posted at February 27, 2005 5:56 AM by Anonymous Anonymous  
It's the "lead hands" and "lead feet" that make me nervous.

  Posted at February 27, 2005 9:33 AM by Anonymous Anonymous  
Your reaction time depends on many factors including the stimulus and the particular part of the body that is to react, i.e., it takes
longer to move your foot from the gas to the brake pedal than it does for your fingers to grab something simply because your leg is heavier and it has to move
farther. This girl is probably one of the safest drivers out there and probably have VERY good reaction times. At least she has sense to know that you don't talk on a cell while driving.

  Posted at February 27, 2005 9:36 AM by Anonymous Anonymous  
Post a Comment

About Me



Name: Nick
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States

I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.


 View My Profile

Archives
 Home Page

Subscribe to this Feed

Search Archives
Previous Posts
Next He'll Want Editorial Approval
Dumb as a ...
You Smell Great
Can Someone Explain This to Me?
License to Fly
In My Car? I Don't Think So
Dying Can't Feel Good Though
30 Minutes Too Slow?
How Do You Define Binge Drinking?
I'm Not Bitter

Personal Links
Carnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey
del.icio.us Links
Flickr Photos
Blog Critics Reviews





Blogroll Me!

music
books
video
culture
politics
sports
gaming

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nick_Schweitzer. Make your own badge here.

Credits

Blogcritics: news and reviews







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

RSS-to-JavaScript.com

Listed on BlogShares

Design By maystar