The World According to Nick
My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.
Thursday, February 17, 2005

Dumb as a ... 

He Stole What?:

A Racine man facing numerous felony burglary charges because of a self-confessed obsession with doorknobs has pleaded not guilty by reason of mental disease or defect to two of those counts in Milwaukee County Circuit Court.
...
According to a criminal complaint, Laufer stole dozens of doorknobs and other items in December from homes under construction in a Franklin subdivision.

Laufer also has been charged with six felony counts of burglary in Ozaukee County in connection with a similar spree in Mequon.

If convicted, Laufer could be imprisoned for 12 1/2 years and fined $25,000 on each count.

First of all... who gets obsessed with doorknobs? Even if you are mentally unstable... doorknobs? Secondly... 12 1/2 years? There are people convicted of manslaughter who go to jail for shorter periods of time. Now try to convince me that sentencing guidelines aren't screwed up.

Comments:

I wouldn't dismiss doorknobs that quickly. Sure you can get a mass produced modern doorknob for a few dollars, but for an antique brass elaborate example you could be looking at big money.

My dad recently went looking for a suitable doorknob for an antique house, it ended up costing $1000 from a demolished estate in Argentina.

  Posted at February 22, 2005 1:22 AM by Anonymous Anonymous  
Post a Comment

About Me



Name: Nick
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States

I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.


 View My Profile

Archives
 Home Page

Subscribe to this Feed

Search Archives
Previous Posts
You Smell Great
Can Someone Explain This to Me?
License to Fly
In My Car? I Don't Think So
Dying Can't Feel Good Though
30 Minutes Too Slow?
How Do You Define Binge Drinking?
I'm Not Bitter
How Prophetic
Now That's Cold

Personal Links
Carnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey
del.icio.us Links
Flickr Photos
Blog Critics Reviews





Blogroll Me!

music
books
video
culture
politics
sports
gaming

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nick_Schweitzer. Make your own badge here.

Credits

Blogcritics: news and reviews







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

RSS-to-JavaScript.com

Listed on BlogShares

Design By maystar