The World According to Nick
My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.
Friday, November 05, 2004

Popcorn Instead of Coasters 

Slashdot is linking to a story about an new CD made of corn:

Giving a new meaning to the term grassroots music, Pioneer Corp. said it had developed a next-generation disc made of corn to let the eco-conscious consumer dispose of data in the soil.

The Japanese electronics maker said the Blu-ray optical disc, which can be written once and stores 25 gigabytes of data, is 87 percent natural polymer derived from corn and biodegrades.

"If the starch polymer is incinerated, it will not emit dioxins and any other harmful chemicals," the company said.

While the disc can theoretically be eaten, it is coated by a 0.1-millimeter (0.004-inch) thick layer of resin and is too hard for even the strongest teeth.

Hopefully the first user of this new CD will be AOL... so when they send me their crap software, I can make popcorn out of it, instead of using it as a coaster. Actually I used to collect all those CD's at work a few years ago and created a big stack, seeing how tall I could make it. I never got it that high really, though I heard of someone else who did it, and got the stack to almost touch the ceiling. What do you do with your junk CD's? Come on - you know you have them. Not just all the AOL CD's... but all the CD's from groups that you're ashamed to admit you ever listened to.

Comments:

Post a Comment

About Me



Name: Nick
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States

I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.


 View My Profile

Archives
 Home Page

Subscribe to this Feed

Search Archives
Previous Posts
You Know You're a Geek When...
Good Results from Bad Data
How Hard Could This Be?
Election Wrap Up
The Founders Would Freak
The Post That Never Was
Is It Over Yet?
Happy Halloween
Funny Commercials
Desperate for Statistics

Personal Links
Carnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey
del.icio.us Links
Flickr Photos
Blog Critics Reviews





Blogroll Me!

music
books
video
culture
politics
sports
gaming

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nick_Schweitzer. Make your own badge here.

Credits

Blogcritics: news and reviews







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

RSS-to-JavaScript.com

Listed on BlogShares

Design By maystar