The World According to Nick
My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.
Wednesday, February 15, 2006

What About HIPAA? 

I know I said this was going to be my only comment, but watching the opening segment of the Today show brought one more to mind. The press is hyperventilating over not knowing every minuscule change in the condition of Whittington, as soon as humanly possible. So here is my question.

Could the White House or the Vice President's office even legally disclose changes in his condition to the press without written authorization from Whittington? Has the press completely forgotten about a little something called HIPAA? Some lawyers are warning doctors not to tell other doctors too much about a common patient for fear of violating the privacy portions of the law. So what makes you think they're going to tell the press anything without permission, every time? I only say this because when I worked for a company that sold equipment to hospitals, I had to sign several things promising that I'd never reveal any patient information which I might find out while on site performing technical support.

The penalties for violating privacy provisions in HIPAA are pretty severe too. Not that the press cares about that of course. After all, the freedom of the press trumps all privacy concerns, and common decency. If the White House didn't hold a press conference, then the press would certainly demand "accidental leaks" of information from undisclosed sources.

Honestly, is there no other news worth talking about lately?

Update: Doh! Damn typos.

Comments:

It's HIPAA, by the way.

Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act.

  Posted at February 15, 2006 9:30 AM by Blogger Be  
Nick,

That same thought occurred to me as well and I blogged about it as well.

  Posted at February 17, 2006 9:52 AM by Blogger Marcus Aurelius  
Post a Comment

About Me



Name: Nick
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States

I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.


 View My Profile

Archives
 Home Page

Subscribe to this Feed

Search Archives
Previous Posts
How is the Taxpayer Protection Amendment Like Brad...
Damned If You Do, Damned If You Don't
Profit Margin Basics
Where Can I Go to Get Properly Drunk Tonight?
And I Thought I Was The Only One
My Only Comment on the Cheney Shooting
Who's Name Is Missing From The List?
Not to Toot My Own Horn...
Who Wants to Blow My Horn?
Now I Know Why Not Everyone Writes Books

Personal Links
Carnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey
del.icio.us Links
Flickr Photos
Blog Critics Reviews





Blogroll Me!

music
books
video
culture
politics
sports
gaming

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nick_Schweitzer. Make your own badge here.

Credits

Blogcritics: news and reviews







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

RSS-to-JavaScript.com

Listed on BlogShares

Design By maystar