The World According to Nick
My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.
Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Damned If You Do, Damned If You Don't 

Let the prisoner's starve... that's torture. Force the prisoner's to eat... well... that's torture too:

Five U.N. human rights experts urged the United States to shut down Guantanamo Bay after concluding the forced-feeding of prisoners and some interrogation techniques amounted to acts of torture, according to a draft report obtained on Monday.
...
The survey is the result of an 18-month investigation ordered by the U.N. Commission on Human Rights and was based on interviews by the investigators with former prisoners, their lawyers and families, but not on-site visits.
...
The U.N. team rejected an invitation to tour the U.S. naval base at Guantanamo, where more than 500 people have been held since the September 11, 2001, because they would not have been allowed to interview prisoners.

And no on-site visits? They studied the matter for a year and a half, and not once did they step on the base? So what if you couldn't interview them? At least you could walk around and see how they're being treated.

What's really at issue here is not how anyone is being treated. If that's all that they cared about, they would have gone on-site and seen for themselves. All those are just made up excuses. They just don't want anyone to be held, no matter what they did. Well... that's just not gonna happen.

Comments:

Post a Comment

About Me



Name: Nick
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States

I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.


 View My Profile

Archives
 Home Page

Subscribe to this Feed

Search Archives
Previous Posts
Profit Margin Basics
Where Can I Go to Get Properly Drunk Tonight?
And I Thought I Was The Only One
My Only Comment on the Cheney Shooting
Who's Name Is Missing From The List?
Not to Toot My Own Horn...
Who Wants to Blow My Horn?
Now I Know Why Not Everyone Writes Books
What Assumptions Would You Make?
Reasonableness Has an Expiration Date

Personal Links
Carnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey
del.icio.us Links
Flickr Photos
Blog Critics Reviews





Blogroll Me!

music
books
video
culture
politics
sports
gaming

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nick_Schweitzer. Make your own badge here.

Credits

Blogcritics: news and reviews







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

RSS-to-JavaScript.com

Listed on BlogShares

Design By maystar