|The World According to Nick|
|My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.|
Friday, February 24, 2006
My gut reaction to the news that the Bush Administration (because apparently George wasn't in on the decision til after it was made) approved a UAE owned company's bid to run six major ports was to say... What on Earth are you thinking? An Arab company? From the Middle East? Where terrorists are everywhere? Running six of our ports? From the perspective of American politics, it makes absolutely zero sense. None. There is no argument you can make to me which would move it to the arena political logic.
Here's why it makes absolutely no political sense:
Of course, all of those are the reasons why it's a bad idea politically to do this. But is it a bad idea in reality? After all, as we all know, politics and reality are usually miles apart.
I'm not trying to say that we should rubber stamp any deal. I also think that allowing our gut reactions to dictate that this deal receive extra scrutiny compared to other companies is just fine. Our guts are often times right, and we should follow them. But after all the extra scrutiny, if we find nothing, we shouldn't let our gut overrule our logic.
I haven't decided if I want to blog on this or not.
I get the gut feeling thing.
But I think you can make a pretty good argument that the reaction is mostly unreasonable xenophobia.
I haven't blogged about it either but think it's much ado about nothing.Post a Comment
1. The municipalities own the ports, the UAE only oversees operations.
2. They are run with US employees (union longshoremen) not Arabs. The only connect the employees have with the UAE is their paycheck.
3. The US runs the security not the UAE.
4. The charge that 9/11 terrorist money went through the UAE makes my eyes roll because all mid-east money goes throught there as it is the financial capitol of the mid-east.
5. The charge that 2 of the 9/11 terrorist were from there means what? If you think about it, we have had at least one from the US, remember Oklahoma?
Not that I am happy with a foreign country in charge of operations of any of our ports, I am not. However as long as we are in charge of security I can live with it.
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States
I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.
View My Profile
Previous PostsBack In the Saddle Again
Insert Olympic Music Here
Sometimes You Just Have to Say...
eBay Has Everything!
Urine Sample Not Required
Why Do We Need Earmark Reform?
How Old Are You?
Permit Me Please
What Are You Afraid Of?
Personal LinksCarnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey
Blog Critics Reviews
Design By maystar