The World According to Nick
My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.
Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Permit Me Please 

Time for another edition of "Permit Me Please"... a look into the wild world of state licensing and permits. Today we're looking at licenses from the Dept. of Revenue, and Dept. of Agriculture.

Sacramental Wine License:

There is no fee for wholesale permits for sacramental wine. However, the BTR certificate and liquor permits are issued by the Registration Unit in Madison, (608) 266-2776. There is a one-time $20 charge for the BTR certificate. This certificate is renewable every two years for $10.

Yeah... I don't get this one either... there is no fee, but you have to pay money? I wonder if there is a government inspection process to make sure your wine is holy enough.

Animal Manure Import Permit: Yeah... you need a license to import manure. Apparently this is to protect all our local manure producing facilities from out of state competition, because we all know that the Made in Wisconsin label means something special.

Fertilizer Distributor License: Because transporting manure is a tough job. Especially all that manure made from male cows. And if our government knows anything, it knows how to move bullshit.

Vegetable Contractor License:

A contractor who procures vegetables from producers for use in processing must hold a vegetable contractor license. "Contractor" includes a food processing plant or a handler who procures vegetables for sale to a processor.

Apparently buying vegetables is trickier than it looks, so we need to make sure you know how to properly squeeze those tomatoes before you make ketchup.

Weather Modification License: Of course, just as Native Americans are exempt from state gambling laws, members of Wisconsin Indian tribes are free to conduct rain dances without need of a permit on tribal grounds.


Also note that on the "Weather Modification License," No statute(s) apply & No administrative rule(s) or code(s) apply.

Huh?... Then where is the requirement for the license come from?

  Posted at February 21, 2006 6:11 PM by Anonymous Sandi  
Actually Sandi, if you comb through the details of a lot of the permits in the database (as I have), you'll see that appears in many of them. I'm assuming its because certain agencies are given certain discretionary power to enact licensing over certain areas that aren't directly controlled by Wisconsin state code... but you know what they say about assuming.

  Posted at February 23, 2006 9:24 AM by Blogger Nick  
Post a Comment

Related Links:

About Me

Name: Nick
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States

I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.

 View My Profile

 Home Page

Subscribe to this Feed

Search Archives
Previous Posts
Shipping Bleg
What Are You Afraid Of?
Bumper Sticker Patrol
Two Years and Counting
A Morbid Prediction
The Pet Peeve to End All Pet Peeves
Not Again
You Know What Always Cheers Me Up?
How Engineers Express Love
Tick Tock Tick Tock

Personal Links
Carnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey Links
Flickr Photos
Blog Critics Reviews

Blogroll Me!

This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nick_Schweitzer. Make your own badge here.


Blogcritics: news and reviews

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by

Listed on BlogShares

Design By maystar