The World According to Nick
My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.
Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Real ID Passed the Senate 

As I've said several times before... I don't like Real ID. Unfortunately it just passed the Senate as part of an Iraq Supplemental Spending bill, and has already passed the House in the same manner. My first comment is that I think that procedurally this is a terrible, cowardly move by my congressman, Jim Sensenbrenner. This is a significant piece of legislation, that had been blocked in Congress before on it's own. What is his response? He gets it added to a bill that was guaranteed to pass... preventing any real debate on its own merits. This bill, if it deserved to pass, should have been voted on its own merits. Sensenbrenner is quickly losing my confidence. Unfortunately he runs virtually unopposed in my district every election. If I had the money... I'd probably run against him. As it stands... I'll be seriously looking at whoever runs against him next election. Don't get me wrong. He's a nice enough guy, and I agree with many of his views... but this one is a deal breaker for me.

All is not lost however, because the National Governors Association is talking about challenging the law's constitutionality. It's essentially an unfunded mandate that Congress has just pushed on the states. More importantly, it creates a national identity database that is illegal. It very well could make identity theft much easier, and would do very little to actually make us more secure. Instapundit also brings up an excellent point that it may not pass constitutional muster because the Supreme Court ruled that the federal government may not compel states to implement federal regulatory programs, even if its the federal regulation is proper.

I'm reminded of another scene from the Hunt for Red October:

Capt. Vasili Borodin: I will live in Montana. And I will marry a round American woman and raise rabbits, and she will cook them for me. And I will have a pickup truck... maybe even a "recreational vehicle." And drive from state to state. Do they let you do that?
Captain Ramius: I suppose.
Capt. Vasili Borodin: No papers?
Captain Ramius: No papers, state to state.

Not any more Borodin. Now you need identity papers. We're becoming more like the U.S.S.R every day.

Update: The other reason I think Sensenbrenner has gotten too comfy as my congressman is because of these comments he made a month or so ago about the government's right to censor. Just thought I'd bring it up again in case Jim happened to be reading.

Comments:

The other reason F. James is way too comfy is the last redistricting (2000), 4 Democrats and 4 Republicans taking the time to make sure there'll be 4 Democrats and 4 Republicans for 10 years.

  Posted at October 09, 2005 4:02 PM by Anonymous Anonymous  
Post a Comment

About Me



Name: Nick
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States

I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.


 View My Profile

Archives
 Home Page

Subscribe to this Feed

Search Archives
Previous Posts
It's a Sin to Tax
That's Not Mr. Peanut
I Actually Don't Wear Pajamas
Sun Shower
This Seems Strange to Me
Interesting Factoid
Happy Mother's Day
It's a Lottery Ticket
What's His Plan?
Real ID and Voter ID

Personal Links
Carnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey
del.icio.us Links
Flickr Photos
Blog Critics Reviews





Blogroll Me!

music
books
video
culture
politics
sports
gaming

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nick_Schweitzer. Make your own badge here.

Credits

Blogcritics: news and reviews







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

RSS-to-JavaScript.com

Listed on BlogShares

Design By maystar