The World According to Nick
My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.
Thursday, May 19, 2005

Now That's Useful 

I give my Congressman a lot of shit. Of course that's mostly because he's had some high profile bills or comments that I disagree with recently. He's also putting forward some good stuff too... and this website helps track that (H/T to The Agitator). You can look up you Congressman and Senators by state, and see what bills they've sponsored or cosponsored. Here is Jim Sensenbrenner's page:

Co-Sponsor of H.R.1760: To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 215 Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard in Madison, Wisconsin, as the "Robert M. La Follette, Sr. Post Office Building".

Thank God we got that taken care of. I was getting worried about that.

Sponsor of H.R.2354: To prohibit the Federal Communications Commission from requiring digital television tuners in television receivers.

It would be nice if he sponsored a bill to dismantled the FCC all together, and to make the frequency bands just another commodity that could be bought and sold on the free market like they should be, but I'll take any small step I can get.

Co-Sponsor of H.R.2355: To amend the Public Health Service Act to provide for cooperative governing of individual health insurance coverage offered in interstate commerce.

Honestly... no real clue. I'm assuming it has to do with this. How you make health insurance directly comparable through law... I don't know.

Co-Sponsor of H.R.98: To amend the Immigration and Nationality Act to enforce restrictions on employment in the United States of unauthorized aliens through the use of improved Social Security cards and an Employment Eligibility Database, and for other purposes.

This one I'll want to look at. I'm all for keeping illegals from benefiting from their crime. Why does illegal immigration bug me so? I'll save that for another post upon my return. But in short, I've worked with a lot of legal immigrants, and seen them obey the law and leave when they had to, and some work towards and get their citizenship. Then I see illegals crossing the border, thumbing their nose at the law... taking opportunities, and legal positions away from people who would obey the law. It pisses me off. Just one question Jim... what does "other purposes" mean?

That ought to give you a good taste of what's available. I suggest you head on over and find out what the people representing you are doing.

Comments:

Post a Comment

About Me



Name: Nick
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States

I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.


 View My Profile

Archives
 Home Page

Subscribe to this Feed

Search Archives
Previous Posts
Mr. Package's Wild Ride
Vacation, All I Ever Wanted
I'm Not Doing That - Am I?
That's Not Obvious?
Your Keyboard Is What You Eat
Insert Reality Here
Lake Michigan at Dusk
I Didn't Think Prices Were That High
This is Cool
10 Things I've Never Done

Personal Links
Carnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey
del.icio.us Links
Flickr Photos
Blog Critics Reviews





Blogroll Me!

music
books
video
culture
politics
sports
gaming

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nick_Schweitzer. Make your own badge here.

Credits

Blogcritics: news and reviews







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

RSS-to-JavaScript.com

Listed on BlogShares

Design By maystar