The World According to Nick
My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.
Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Your Keyboard Is What You Eat 

Eric Gunnerson over at Microsoft proposes the following test:

Lift up your keyboard, turn it over and shake.

Yuck.

This reminds me of a job I had in college. I worked at MSOE's Technical Support Center which, among many other things, maintained many of the computer labs on campus. One of the jobs I had during the summer, and between trimesters was to clean the lab computers.

That meant scrubbing down the cases (which people felt the need to write on) with industrial foaming cleaner, and also cleaning the keyboards. The keys would generally be black with grime and dirt by the end of a trimester. There would old soda, crumbs, hair, and other unrecognizable bits between the keys as well. As a result of this experience, I generally keep my keyboards incredibly clean. I don't eat over them, and am very careful with anything I drink around them. I also wash my hands (a skill many of my fellow students apparently never mastered) so that the keys don't get that layer of dirt they so often have.

I'm proud to report that nothing fell out of my keyboard this morning.

Comments:

This is so funny. When I have a new keyboard (every 3 or 4 years) I keep food away from it initially. After a couple of months though, I go back to my old ways and eat, drink and be merry while at the keyboard.

You can buy a new decent keyboard nowdays for $20 and a piece of crap for $10. For $20 dollars I'm not about to leave my coffee out of reach, or refrain from eating at my keyboard.

I do clean it once or twice a year by removing all the keys, disassembling, and even washing the protective liquid proof shield that most have.

  Posted at May 18, 2005 2:12 PM by Anonymous Anonymous  
Post a Comment

About Me



Name: Nick
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States

I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.


 View My Profile

Archives
 Home Page

Subscribe to this Feed

Search Archives
Previous Posts
Insert Reality Here
Lake Michigan at Dusk
I Didn't Think Prices Were That High
This is Cool
10 Things I've Never Done
Help Bury The Dead
More Friday Fun
Friday Condom Blogging
Just Call Me Peter Piper
The Right to Disappear

Personal Links
Carnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey
del.icio.us Links
Flickr Photos
Blog Critics Reviews





Blogroll Me!

music
books
video
culture
politics
sports
gaming

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nick_Schweitzer. Make your own badge here.

Credits

Blogcritics: news and reviews







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

RSS-to-JavaScript.com

Listed on BlogShares

Design By maystar