The World According to Nick
My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.
Wednesday, May 18, 2005

I'm Not Doing That - Am I? 

The other day I got an email from Active.com with training tips and what not. One of the articles in the email had to do with efficient downhill running:

Often when an athlete runs downhill, he or she will lean back, into the hill, and brake heavily on the heels. Over-striding and landing very far back on the heel and then rolling quickly onto the toe produces the familiar “slap, slap, slap” sound. This never looks comfortable. Plus, it sounds, and often is, painful, and it is inefficient and slow. Further, fighting gravity by leaning back puts a tremendous load on the joints and large muscles of your legs, increasing the risk of cramping and magnifying any biomechanical problems such as pronation or supination. Lastly, this is a good way to develop blisters or lose a few toenails as the foot slides within the shoe as you brake with each foot plant.

Instead, once the downhill section starts, you should lean slightly forward, shifting your center of gravity toward the bottom of the hill. This will change your momentum from fighting the slope of the hill to moving with gravity, allowing you to be pulled down the hill—like running with a tailwind on the flats.

I read the article and smiled to myself... feeling very proud. Yes... I'm doing it right! Then I went running after work that night with the information in the article fresh in my head. Suddenly I realized I was in fact doing it wrong... so very very wrong. It's amazing how we can delude ourselves into thinking one thing until we actually do it, and realize we had no idea what we were talking about. Well not any more. I'm now running correctly down hill, and my training split did improve.

Comments:

Post a Comment

About Me



Name: Nick
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States

I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.


 View My Profile

Archives
 Home Page

Subscribe to this Feed

Search Archives
Previous Posts
That's Not Obvious?
Your Keyboard Is What You Eat
Insert Reality Here
Lake Michigan at Dusk
I Didn't Think Prices Were That High
This is Cool
10 Things I've Never Done
Help Bury The Dead
More Friday Fun
Friday Condom Blogging

Personal Links
Carnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey
del.icio.us Links
Flickr Photos
Blog Critics Reviews





Blogroll Me!

music
books
video
culture
politics
sports
gaming

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nick_Schweitzer. Make your own badge here.

Credits

Blogcritics: news and reviews







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

RSS-to-JavaScript.com

Listed on BlogShares

Design By maystar