The World According to Nick
My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.
Tuesday, April 12, 2005

This Seems Strange to Me 

There is a story in the Journal about how the man who killed that judge's family in Chicago is getting a Catholic burial:

When funeral director John Walloch heard that no one had claimed the body of Bart Ross, the Chicago man who committed suicide and left a note saying he killed the husband and mother of a federal judge in Chicago, he decided to step forward.

"I was disheartened that that no one claimed the body," Walloch said Monday. "I felt it was imperative that this man be buried as a Christian, so we assumed this responsibility at no cost to the county or state."

Walloch, who founded the Walloch Funeral Home, 4309 S. 20th St., 40 years ago, said he claimed the body of Ross on Monday and is preparing it for burial.

On Tuesday, Father Bill Burkert, pastor of St. Roman Catholic Church, will conduct a graveside service at 2 p.m. at Milwaukee's Holy Trinity Cemetery. The Catholic cemetery is providing the burial space. Walloch said he's picking up the $4,500 cost of the casket and other burial services.

"Part of it was that he was Polish," Walloch said. "He came here from Poland years ago and was probably brought up as a Christian because Poland is a very Catholic country. What transpired in the meantime, I don't know. Perhaps we are too judgmental. The final judgment is made by God, not us."

This seems strange to me. First of all... I have a hard time thinking that this man deserves a decent burial after what he did... but hey... it's not my money. The second strange thing here is that he's getting a Catholic burial. Now then, I'm not Catholic, and don't claim to be an expert in Canon Law, but isn't suicide considered a mortal sin? My understanding is that people who commit suicide (as this man did) were to be denied a Catholic burial and went to hell.

Is there something I'm missing? Any Catholics want to correct me here?

Comments:

Nick, perhaps what you are mising is that although we are free (as far as God is concerned) to enforce earthly laws, only God makes the final judgements on the persons soul.
__________

From Luke 23:39-43...
" 39One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: “Aren't you the Christ? Save yourself and us!”

40But the other criminal rebuked him. “Don't you fear God,” he said, “since you are under the same sentence? 41We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong.”

42Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.[f]”

43Jesus answered him, “I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise.”
___________

So who are we to judge?

  Posted at April 12, 2005 2:27 PM by Anonymous Anonymous  
I think you missed my point Sandi. My point was that my understanding of Canon Law was that people who committed suicide were to be denied a Catholic burial on consecrated ground... and that the belief is that they go to hell. Whether he actually ends up in Hell is another matter completely.

As far as judging this guy... he killed an innocent man and woman in a gruesome heinous act. I think that is something I can judge.

  Posted at April 12, 2005 2:43 PM by Blogger Nick  
Point taken and I am not refuting your judgement, mine is about the same. My point is that in spite of canon law, I would think that the church would follow the example of Christ.

So I suppose my problem is with canon law and not your judgement which is similar to mine.

  Posted at April 12, 2005 4:50 PM by Anonymous Anonymous  
Post a Comment

About Me



Name: Nick
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States

I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.


 View My Profile

Archives
 Home Page

Subscribe to this Feed

Search Archives
Previous Posts
Vote for Rick James - Bitch
The Exception or The Rule?
No Pain
Search Phrases
Seems Simple Enough
Time to Pay the Piper
Investing Is Not The Issue
Afraid of the Mob?
The Hum of the Road
Taking the Day Off of Blogging

Personal Links
Carnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey
del.icio.us Links
Flickr Photos
Blog Critics Reviews





Blogroll Me!

music
books
video
culture
politics
sports
gaming

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nick_Schweitzer. Make your own badge here.

Credits

Blogcritics: news and reviews







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

RSS-to-JavaScript.com

Listed on BlogShares

Design By maystar