The World According to Nick
My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.
Saturday, April 02, 2005

Scraps of Paper 

Just a random thought from one of my random little scraps of paper. My memory sucks. Seriously. I can be introduced to someone, and literally turn my head and have forgotten their name. It's embarrassing. What I try to do now is repeat their name several times. If I meet you for the first time, you may hear me talking to you in the third person while you're right there. It could be worse. I could be like the Jimmy episode in Seinfeld where I refer to myself in the third person.

One of the other consequences of my shitty memory is my reliance on scrap paper. I have little pads of paper everywhere. I'm constantly writing on them at work. What's really funny is how little I actually read those scraps of paper. At one point in time I had actually convinced myself that I didn't really need them, seeing as how I hardly read what I wrote. One day I decided to put all my little scratch pads in a drawer, and then I proceeded to forget all sorts of stuff.

That's when it hit me. I don't need to write things down in order to read them back. The very act of writing things down allows me to remember them. Now the only thing I have to do is remember to throw away those scraps of paper before they build up. I better write myself a note.

Comments:

Snort! I often tell people that I'd forget my own name if I didn't have tags sewn to my underwear with my "return to" information printed on them.

The writing something down is a powerful mnemonic device. I have post-its all over the place, and when I'm studying something (like a language), I'll very often do the 'write each vocabulary word 5x's thing.'

Interestingly enough, I've found that in meetings and lectures, knitting helps me to remember what's going on. It's unnerving for others, though, sadly.

  Posted at April 02, 2005 6:06 PM by Blogger Be  
Post a Comment

About Me



Name: Nick
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States

I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.


 View My Profile

Archives
 Home Page

Subscribe to this Feed

Search Archives
Previous Posts
Fear of Technology
No News Today
More on Europe
Google Will Rule the World
Sigh
Can You Hear Me Now?
Drum Beats
Book Stack
Well What Did You Expect?
Pain is Good

Personal Links
Carnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey
del.icio.us Links
Flickr Photos
Blog Critics Reviews





Blogroll Me!

music
books
video
culture
politics
sports
gaming

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nick_Schweitzer. Make your own badge here.

Credits

Blogcritics: news and reviews







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

RSS-to-JavaScript.com

Listed on BlogShares

Design By maystar