The World According to Nick
My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.
Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Book Stack 

I just finished The United States Of Europe: The New Superpower and the End of American Supremacy. I had my doubts about this book originally... but now that I've finished it... I'm glad I read it. First of all... it does take a cheerleader approach to the EU. But the facts that are presented in the book are compelling. The difference is that the author doesn't draw the same conclusions that I would.

Here are a few points that stood out.

We Fund Europe's Social Programs: We are Europe's defense plain and simple. They can afford to have squat for a military because they don't have to, and they take advantage of this. While the author views this as plain fact... I view it as a thing to change. While pulling out of Europe would limit our options somewhat as far as logistics... I have a feeling we could come up with some alternatives. Europe is like a kid whose been given their parent's credit card and buy whatever they want. It's time they see what the bill is.

Europe Owns a lot of America: They invest heavily in, or outright own a lot of "American" companies. While from a purely capitalistic view I don't have a problem with it... it's nice to have their money... from a realistic standpoint this is a problem. Because most European countries cannot lay off workers... when those companies need to trim something in order to be profitable, they look to the U.S. American workers suffer even when the American parts of European owned businesses do well... simply because American workers are the only ones they can lay off. This is a problem.

Europe Has Too Much Political Influence: They have a common currency, a common trade infrastructure, open borders... more and more they act as one country. That's fine. But when it comes to international organizations... they still all have their individual votes. It's as if the United States of America went to the UN (or the WTO, or any number of organizations) with 50 votes because we had 50 states. If Europe truly speaks as a single country, then it's high time they speak with one vote. Otherwise I say we're do 49 extra.

Next on the book stack is Schrodinger's Rabbits: Entering The Many Worlds Of Quantum. Quantum physics has always bothered me. Einstein is often times quoted as saying "God doesn't play dice with the universe"... and this part of quantum physics has bothered me just the same. This book promises to talk about new theories in the quantum world that takes away the random nature of quantum physics that cause so many people like me a problem.

Comments:

Post a Comment

About Me



Name: Nick
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States

I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.


 View My Profile

Archives
 Home Page

Subscribe to this Feed

Search Archives
Previous Posts
Well What Did You Expect?
Pain is Good
They Gather Statistics on Everything These Days
Reward Offered For Missing Lung
Monday Spunk Blogging
Women Take Note
More Candy Controversy
Polls Are Still Open
Happy Easter
Going Out of Business?

Personal Links
Carnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey
del.icio.us Links
Flickr Photos
Blog Critics Reviews





Blogroll Me!

music
books
video
culture
politics
sports
gaming

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nick_Schweitzer. Make your own badge here.

Credits

Blogcritics: news and reviews







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

RSS-to-JavaScript.com

Listed on BlogShares

Design By maystar