The World According to Nick
My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.
Thursday, April 14, 2005

The Carnival of the Vanities is Up 

Well... sort of. I was pretty disappointed in this week's Carnival. Dr. Zen did a pretty mean spirited interpretation of a cool blog carnival that was generally pretty politically agnostic before. People would submit, you'd show the links with a short summary... it's a pretty simple concept. If you're interested, I submitted this post I wrote earlier this week on Social Security. I got ripped:

Nick Schweitzer at the The World According to Nick writes about how the US government's social security proposals are all about choice. When I tell you that Nick doesn't know that investing in the government is just as much investing in the "economy" as investing in Micro$oft or GM, you'll understand that his argument is not too sophisticated. Who would I rather trust with my investments? The government or John Q. Fillmepockets, a dealer who would flog you shares in dogshit if he thought he could con you into buying it? Yes, Nick, it's all about choice, and a great one it is too.

Well.. so glad I submitted so generously to the COTV this week so you could get an Instalanche, and I could submit myself to a free flogging. Personally, I think anyone who thinks that investing in government bureaucracy and bullshit is a worthwhile investment needs to have their head examined. I trust my investments to me. Don't like Microsoft or GM... then don't invest in them... that's the beauty of it. Apparently that simple fact has eluded our friend Dr. Zen.

But that's not the point. He pretty much ripped everyone... and this week's carnival sucked. In fact... after reading through about 3 of his "summaries"... I basically just scrolled down to see what he said about me and then left. I'd imagine that most people who found this week's carnival didn't stay too long, which is a shame, because it's usually a great way to find some excellent writing.

Luckily for us, the blogosphere is full of people interested in correcting wrongs... and This Blog Is Full of Crap has posted an alternative carnival which is fair and politically agnostic. Thanks a lot!

Comments:

Goodness, what an unhappy person that Dr. Zen must be. I found your post to be very well-reasoned, well-written and more or less on par with how I understand government investing and the "anti choice" lobby to work. His preamble to your submission was snide and did little more than show his lack of understanding of the material. Thank heavens for the Avignon Carnival for saving the day - I'd not have bothered reading most of the very worthwhile posts in #134 if it weren't for him.

  Posted at April 14, 2005 1:58 PM by Blogger Be  
Post a Comment

About Me



Name: Nick
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States

I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.


 View My Profile

Archives
 Home Page

Subscribe to this Feed

Search Archives
Previous Posts
There Actually Isn't a Law
I'm Not Talking About Decapitating
TheWorldsLongestDomainName.com
This Seems Strange to Me
Vote for Rick James - Bitch
The Exception or The Rule?
No Pain
Search Phrases
Seems Simple Enough
Time to Pay the Piper

Personal Links
Carnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey
del.icio.us Links
Flickr Photos
Blog Critics Reviews





Blogroll Me!

music
books
video
culture
politics
sports
gaming

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nick_Schweitzer. Make your own badge here.

Credits

Blogcritics: news and reviews







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

RSS-to-JavaScript.com

Listed on BlogShares

Design By maystar