The World According to Nick
My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.
Saturday, August 21, 2004

New Project 

As part of my self analyzation I've been doing lately, I've realized that I haven't had a good computer related personal project in a while. For years I always built my computers from parts, and did upgrades from time to time. But then a year ago I broke from that normal procedure, and bought a laptop. Don't get me wrong - I love my laptop, but I miss a good computer project.

For a while I've thought about making my own "Media Convergance Device". This would be an MP3 Player/Tivo/Picture Viewer that hooks up to your TV. I've done a lot of research on the topic, and put together my shopping list. I've decided to use MythTV which runs on Linux as the software to power the bugger. The only thing that really worries me is the Linux part. I really haven't done a lot with Linux lately. The only Linux box I've had was pretty much standard desktop hardware, so that part could get complicated. But that's the fun right?

Anyway, today I ordered the hardware for my new project (my credit card company is gonna love me this month):

I'll post more on my project as it moves along. But for now, all I can do is watch for tracking numbers.

Comments:

Post a Comment

About Me



Name: Nick
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States

I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.


 View My Profile

Archives
 Home Page

Subscribe to this Feed

Search Archives
Previous Posts
No Excuses
Bullets, Not Boobs
BugMeNot Be Gone
Not Gonna Do It
Book Review: Red Rabbit
The Star Spangled Fizzle
Computer Stupidities
Random Thoughts
Fuck the List
I Just Can't Resist

Personal Links
Carnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey
del.icio.us Links
Flickr Photos
Blog Critics Reviews





Blogroll Me!

music
books
video
culture
politics
sports
gaming

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nick_Schweitzer. Make your own badge here.

Credits

Blogcritics: news and reviews







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

RSS-to-JavaScript.com

Listed on BlogShares

Design By maystar