The World According to Nick
My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.
Friday, August 20, 2004

BugMeNot Be Gone 

Well... not quite. For those of you who don't know, BugMeNot was a site that allowed people to find already registered anonymous login info for news sites that required registration. It is/was an extremely handy little tool for those of us who absolutely hate this online registration bug that so many sites have, especially now that they're asking for more and more information, making that form longer and longer. For some info on why online registration statistics are bull, read this post I did a couple weeks ago.

Anyway, I went to BugMeNot yesterday and found the site to be completely gone... as in Could Not Find the Server. Now this morning, it has a directory listing with pretty much nothing in it. A little bit of Googling has yielded some conflicting reports. Boing Boing is saying:

Bugmenot appears to have been taken offline by its creators. The site served as a clearinghouse for shared passwords to registration-required websites. Subscription-based website owners despised it, hassle-hating 'net users loved it. No word on what happened (bugmenot peeps: talk to me, honey), but I'd bet dollars to downloads that lawyers were involved.

The Mozilla Forums have this little bit of hopeful news:

Our host pulled the plug. I reckon they were pressured. If anyone has got some secure, preferably offshore hosting in mind then please let us know so we can get the service back up as soon as possible.

More on this as information becomes available. I hope they don't give up and are back soon.

Update: Looks like they found a new host and are back online!

Thanks for the help everyone- I've found a host and should be back within 24-48 hours. I'd still like a more robust solution to the hosting problem if anyone can help.

At present the site is seeing 10,000 to 15,000 unique visitors per day. Needs around 250MB space including logs and everything and is chewing through 5GB-10GB bandwidth per month. I expect these figure to keep growing over time.

Comments:

Post a Comment

About Me



Name: Nick
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States

I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.


 View My Profile

Archives
 Home Page

Subscribe to this Feed

Search Archives
Previous Posts
Not Gonna Do It
Book Review: Red Rabbit
The Star Spangled Fizzle
Computer Stupidities
Random Thoughts
Fuck the List
I Just Can't Resist
Don - You're Fired
So How Does Nick Rate?
Meet Virginia

Personal Links
Carnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey
del.icio.us Links
Flickr Photos
Blog Critics Reviews





Blogroll Me!

music
books
video
culture
politics
sports
gaming

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nick_Schweitzer. Make your own badge here.

Credits

Blogcritics: news and reviews







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

RSS-to-JavaScript.com

Listed on BlogShares

Design By maystar