The World According to Nick
My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.
Saturday, July 17, 2004

Review: Stargate Atlantis 

I've admitted it before, and I'll admit it again. I'm a geek. One of the shows that I've really enjoyed for a long time is Stargate SG-1, which is now on the SciFi Channel. They've now created a new spin off series called Stargate Atlantis which premiered last night. Granted it was the premier, which means that the cast still has to mature together a little. But my first impressions bring two words to mind: Recipe and Dark.

Ok, first word, Recipe. You can see pretty quickly that they really meant from the beginning for this to be a pure replacement, because they took SG-1 as a recipe for Atlantis. They have a military leader who is sarcastic and has trouble with authority (*cough* Jack O'Neill). They have an alien who joins the team (*cough* Teal'c). They have an alien enemy his is superior to them, but that somehow they will be able to beat week after week (*cough* Goa'uld). This enemy also seems to have the ability to regenerate, and is really really hard to kill. Hmmm... at least they're in another galaxy.

Second word, Dark. That's it. The first world they go to has a lot of night. The enemy is immediately dark and menacing (more than usual). I simply came away with this dark feeling. That's not really abnormal for Sci Fi in general though, but I think it's wrong to do that here. I think one of the things that made SG-1 so popular though was that although they had some dark stuff going on, they somehow kept it a little light. Maybe they'll be able to do that here too, but they're off to a bad start in my opinion.

My two cents, or two words really.

Comments:

Post a Comment

About Me



Name: Nick
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States

I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.


 View My Profile

Archives
 Home Page

Subscribe to this Feed

Search Archives
Previous Posts
Lance Attack
Is There an Election Somewhere?
Forget the 9/11 Commission!
They Don't Ride the Short Bus
Queuing Theory
Random Thoughts on the Drive In
Google Will Rule The World
Our Lady of the Painted Breast
You Can and Can't Gamble
English and English Not Quite the Same

Personal Links
Carnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey
del.icio.us Links
Flickr Photos
Blog Critics Reviews





Blogroll Me!

music
books
video
culture
politics
sports
gaming

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nick_Schweitzer. Make your own badge here.

Credits

Blogcritics: news and reviews







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

RSS-to-JavaScript.com

Listed on BlogShares

Design By maystar