The World According to Nick
My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.
Tuesday, July 27, 2004

And This is a Revelation? 

Steve Green over at VodkaPundit calls this particular NY Times Op-Ed Piece "Required Reading". Normally I agree a lot with our vodka drinking friend. I could have done without this particular column. The whole thing can be summed with one of two sentences depending on your leaning.

My particular take: He doesn't stand for anything, but that's a good thing.
Someone more left than I would say: He stands for everything, and that's a good thing.

Take this particular excerpt:

Over the last few days I have spoken to Democrats who are firmly convinced he is a hawkish free-trading fiscal conservative who believes that life begins at conception, that marriage is between a man and a woman, and that the U.S. should bulk up its forces in Iraq. I've also spoken to other Democrats just as convinced the Kerry is really a protectionist, socially liberal dove who actually opposes the war and supports gay marriage and nationalized health care.

You may read that and laugh... saying why would I vote for this person? That's what I said at least, until you go down two more paragraph's and read:

All this may work. But there is still more to learn. Is Kerry a little dull because he is steady and sensible, or is he just incapable of making up his mind? Is he prudential because in times of crisis the nation needs a steady hand, or is he cautious because he simply doesn't grasp that we're in a new world, confronted by a rabid ideological foe?

Is the fact that I still don't know which of these two things Kerry is after all this campaigning really an answer to that question? The man has had all this time to define his campaign. He's been out speaking to the people for months both during the primaries, and leading up to the convention, and we still don't know where he stands. He has simply been saying whatever you want to hear to get you to come to his side. What scares me is that I may not like what I find in January if he is standing at the podium come inaguration day. What scares me even more is that I know I won't know what we will have gotten if he's elected until that day.

Either way, this particular column was not a stunning revelation, just one more person saying that Kerry flip-flops.

Comments:

Post a Comment

About Me



Name: Nick
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States

I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.


 View My Profile

Archives
 Home Page

Subscribe to this Feed

Search Archives
Previous Posts
Training Update
Note to Self
Speaking Out For Dad
The War Room
Don't Piss Off Lance
The More Big Guns the Better
Maybe If They'd Called It "Freedom Country Living"
Enter the Web Log
What Do You Get the Company That Has Everything?
Minor Pet Peeve

Personal Links
Carnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey
del.icio.us Links
Flickr Photos
Blog Critics Reviews





Blogroll Me!

music
books
video
culture
politics
sports
gaming

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nick_Schweitzer. Make your own badge here.

Credits

Blogcritics: news and reviews







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

RSS-to-JavaScript.com

Listed on BlogShares

Design By maystar