The World According to Nick
My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.
Wednesday, March 23, 2005

A Few Good Journalists 

Little Green Footballs has gotten hold of a press release showing that Mary Mapes has sold her novel, and will be telling all about the Rather Gate scandal. What LGF doesn't know, is that a movie version of the novel is already in the works, and I was able to get an advanced copy of the script. Quoted below is a portion of the climax of the movie. If you don't want the movie spoiled, you had best stop reading now.

Dan Rather: You want answers?
Scott Johnson: I think I'm entitled.
Dan Rather: You want answers?!
Scott Johnson: I want the truth!
Dan Rather: You can't handle the truth!

Dan Rather: Son, we live in a world that has televisions and those televisions need to be filled with news by men with sources. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Glenn Reynolds? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for George Bush and curse the media; you have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that George Bush's ridicule, while tragic, probably saved democracy and that my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves democracy.

You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties you want me on that television, you need me on that television. We use words like truth, transparency, nuetrality. We use then as the backbone of a life trying to defend something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who reads and blogs about the very news I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you," and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest that you pick up a television camera and get a news show. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.

Scott Johnson: Did you forge those memos?
Dan Rather: I did the job I had to do.
Scott Johnson: Did you forge those memos?!
Dan Rather: You're God damn right I did!

I think it will be a summer blockbuster.

Comments:

Very, very funny. Bravo!

  Posted at April 15, 2005 3:27 PM by Anonymous Anonymous  
Perfect!

  Posted at April 15, 2005 3:38 PM by Blogger Asher Abrams  
That! is just too damn funny because you KNOW its true.

  Posted at April 15, 2005 6:07 PM by Blogger Chiro Board Watcher  
I thought Mary made the fake memos. Will she be the one in the movie blowing her brains out?
Rod Stanton

  Posted at April 22, 2005 3:05 PM by Anonymous Anonymous  
Post a Comment

About Me



Name: Nick
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States

I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.


 View My Profile

Archives
 Home Page

Subscribe to this Feed

Search Archives
Previous Posts
Don't Raid the Special Funds
I Just Don't Know
Addiction
Have It Your Way
Permit Me Please
Car Enthusiasts Take Note
Let's Change That
The Law of Technology
Blog Rolling
I'll Solve My Own Problems Thanks

Personal Links
Carnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey
del.icio.us Links
Flickr Photos
Blog Critics Reviews





Blogroll Me!

music
books
video
culture
politics
sports
gaming

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nick_Schweitzer. Make your own badge here.

Credits

Blogcritics: news and reviews







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

RSS-to-JavaScript.com

Listed on BlogShares

Design By maystar