The World According to Nick
My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.
Monday, March 21, 2005

Have It Your Way 

RSS Bandit has released it's latest version. For those not familiar with it, RSS Bandit is a free news aggregator using the .NET framework... meaning you can use it to subscribe to XML news feeds that many blogs make available. I personally do the majority of my blog reading using this program. It makes my blog reading very efficient. I don't have to constantly check a blog to see if it's been updated, RSS Bandit does that for me. So reading blogs becomes as easy, and fast, as reading email.

As a blog owner, things become a little more difficult. Most blog engines (like Blogger) allow you to control what goes into your news feed. Meaning you can either include the entire post, or just a summary (usually the first x number of words) with a link to the full post. My personal preference as a blog reader is to have the entire post (which is why I do it that way in my blog feed). However, when you do this, you don't know how many people are reading your site (it doesn't track on Sitemeter). If you have blog ads (which I don't right now), it becomes even more of a problem... because people who read your entire post from the feed won't be exposed to your ads.

In fact, I recently donated to Instapundit because I only read his site using RSS Bandit... and he is gracious enough to have his full posts in the news feed. But his site is also expensive for him to run, so I thought I'd toss some money his way to make up for the ad revenue I don't generate for him.

I've been thinking recently of changing my feed to only show the summary... seeing if that generates an uptick in my Sitemeter stats. Any thoughts from people? Do any of you read my blog using a news aggregator? If you do use one, does only having the summaries in the feed bug you? Discuss.

Comments:

Hmm I guess newsfeeds just havn't interested me, and I assume you only get the heading and text and links.

Sites that I visit a lot I get active in the comments and would end up going there anyway.

  Posted at March 22, 2005 5:07 AM by Anonymous Anonymous  
Post a Comment

About Me



Name: Nick
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States

I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.


 View My Profile

Archives
 Home Page

Subscribe to this Feed

Search Archives
Previous Posts
Permit Me Please
Car Enthusiasts Take Note
Let's Change That
The Law of Technology
Blog Rolling
I'll Solve My Own Problems Thanks
Can You Hear Me Now?
Happy St. Patrick's Day
It's Supposed to Blow Up
You Know You're a Geek When

Personal Links
Carnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey
del.icio.us Links
Flickr Photos
Blog Critics Reviews





Blogroll Me!

music
books
video
culture
politics
sports
gaming

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nick_Schweitzer. Make your own badge here.

Credits

Blogcritics: news and reviews







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

RSS-to-JavaScript.com

Listed on BlogShares

Design By maystar