The World According to Nick
My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.
Monday, April 10, 2006

Much Better Than a $100 Laptop 

This is how Engineering makes lives better in poor countries:

A group of Milwaukee School of Engineering students will try to change that when they travel this week to a small Guatemalan town to build a bridge.

Six students will leave Thursday for San Lucas Toliman in south-central Guatemala. Natural disasters have made it difficult for residents living in smaller communities to travel to neighboring towns where there are schools, hospitals and other services.
...
The students have raised about $10,300 for building materials, including wood, concrete, reinforcing steel and supplies, Stahl said. They also have raised about $4,000 for travel expenses.

The fact that it's all being done by MSOE students makes it all the better. That bridge will stand for a long time.

Comments:

Post a Comment

About Me



Name: Nick
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States

I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.


 View My Profile

Archives
 Home Page

Subscribe to this Feed

Search Archives
Previous Posts
Anyone Else Think This Is Kind of Funny?
A Bachelor and His Wallet Discuss The Current Mone...
I Have Another Review Up
It's The Benefits Stupid
On Being a Schizophrenic Blogger
I Think I Can, I Think I Can, I Think I Can
When TLA's Strike
Where's The Carnival of the Badger Going to Be Thi...
So Will The Camera Pan Out More?
As If One Mother Wasn't Enough

Personal Links
Carnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey
del.icio.us Links
Flickr Photos
Blog Critics Reviews





Blogroll Me!

music
books
video
culture
politics
sports
gaming

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nick_Schweitzer. Make your own badge here.

Credits

Blogcritics: news and reviews







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

RSS-to-JavaScript.com

Listed on BlogShares

Design By maystar