The World According to Nick
My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.
Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Dr. King Would Be So Proud 

Remind you of any movie in particular?

Alan Moldawer's adopted twins, Matt and Andrew, had always thought of themselves as white. But when it came time for them to apply to college last year, Mr. Moldawer thought it might be worth investigating the origins of their slightly tan-tinted skin, with a new DNA kit that he had heard could determine an individual's genetic ancestry.

The results, designating the boys 9 percent Native American and 11 percent northern African, arrived too late for the admissions process. But Mr. Moldawer, a business executive in Silver Spring, Md., says they could be useful in obtaining financial aid.

"Naturally when you're applying to college you're looking at how your genetic status might help you," said Mr. Moldawer, who knows that the twins' birth parents are white, but has little information about their extended family. "I have three kids going now, and you can bet that any advantage we can take we will."

Like this one perhaps? The irony here of course is that racial preferences were meant to equalize disparities in economic classes, and here we have a well off family who can afford an expensive DNA test using it. Heaven forbid that people should get into college, or get a job based on their merits, and not based on ancestry they never knew they had.

H/T to Ann Althouse

Comments:

Post a Comment

About Me



Name: Nick
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States

I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.


 View My Profile

Archives
 Home Page

Subscribe to this Feed

Search Archives
Previous Posts
Cynthia McKinney Goes to Her Local Michelin Dealer
How Do You Move Without Movement?
Much Better Than a $100 Laptop
Anyone Else Think This Is Kind of Funny?
A Bachelor and His Wallet Discuss The Current Mone...
I Have Another Review Up
It's The Benefits Stupid
On Being a Schizophrenic Blogger
I Think I Can, I Think I Can, I Think I Can
When TLA's Strike

Personal Links
Carnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey
del.icio.us Links
Flickr Photos
Blog Critics Reviews





Blogroll Me!

music
books
video
culture
politics
sports
gaming

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nick_Schweitzer. Make your own badge here.

Credits

Blogcritics: news and reviews







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

RSS-to-JavaScript.com

Listed on BlogShares

Design By maystar