The World According to Nick
My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.
Tuesday, March 07, 2006

What's My Life Supposed to Be Like? 

I'm suddenly reminded of the song by Adam Ant (and this goes to show what an influence 80's music had on me as a child thanks to my sisters).... Goody Two Shoes:

Don't drink don't smoke - what do you do?
Don't drink don't smoke - what do you do?
Subtle innuendos follow
There must be something inside

No one's gonna tell me
What's wrong or what's right
Or tell me who to eat with sleep with
Or that I've won the big fight big fight

I'm starting to wonder what my life is supposed to be like according to everyone else. At work right now I'm starting to do design work on project which will last for several months. While we've decided to release the project in small iterations, one of my jobs is to come up with an overall design, and envision what the software will look like after all the iterations are complete, so that we get to where we want to be at the end. This has made me wonder, what's the nanny stater's vision of my life? Who's coming up with that vision is another issue all together which I'm not going to bother with right now.

If all the little laws, and regulations that are being passed, and demanded by so many are just small iterations in the nanny state vision... What is the overall grand scheme supposed to look like when they're done? We're not supposed to drink alcohol, smoke, eat fattening foods, drink soda, or even use lip balm. Those who don't have children are considered a leach on society by some, while those who aren't married by a certain age are looked down upon by others. Keep your kids in booster seats until they're eight, and make sure you wear your seat belt (even though we don't like the car you drive). In fact, we want you to take your bike to work, but make sure to wear your helmet.

Every day we're confronted by people who know what is best for us, and aren't afraid to tell us exactly what we should and shouldn't do. And if necessary, they're willing to put the force of law and government restriction behind those recommendations... for our own good, of course. But what is the overall vision?

If I were to put my life completely in their hands right now, and say "Do with me what you will. I'll do whatever you tell me." What would they have me do? And if they were to admit to that vision, would you like it? Whether we take the express train there, or make the journy through a thousand steps, the destination is the same. I just want to know where they think we ought to go. No more death by a thousand cuts. Fess up already! What is my life supposed to be like?

Comments:

Post a Comment

About Me



Name: Nick
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States

I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.


 View My Profile

Archives
 Home Page

Subscribe to this Feed

Search Archives
Previous Posts
Comments on the Solomon Amendment Ruling
Must Be Out of It This Morning
And Then They Came After Soda
What Therapy Shouldn't be Regulated?
It's About Cheap Advertising
They Handle Everything Else Anyways
Navel Gazing Anyone?
Timing Is Everything
Suspended for Viewing Something?
If Only They Cared

Personal Links
Carnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey
del.icio.us Links
Flickr Photos
Blog Critics Reviews





Blogroll Me!

music
books
video
culture
politics
sports
gaming

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nick_Schweitzer. Make your own badge here.

Credits

Blogcritics: news and reviews







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

RSS-to-JavaScript.com

Listed on BlogShares

Design By maystar