The World According to Nick
My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.
Thursday, February 02, 2006

Now That's A Great Idea! 

I will be the first to admit that I'm pretty punctuationally challenged. I do make an effort, but some things are just ingrained in my writing. For one, I fully admit that I overuse ellipses (three dots). I feel that that they give my blogging a conversational feel, and make things more fun. Apostrophe's sometimes cause me problems. For instance, when is it appropriate to use it's, as opposed to its? I seem to remember learning a rule for that during an ACT prep class, but have long since forgotten it. My mom recently recommended a book to me, which I may end up reading, called "Eats, Shoots & Leaves", which is supposed to be a pretty funny look into punctuation, as hard as it may be to imagine punctuation being funny.

One of the areas of writing that has always been a problem for me is expressing sarcasm. I'm an extremely sarcastic person by nature, and I've always found it hard to express this adequately in my writing. I remember back in high school, when I was on... *gulp*... AOL... emailing something very sarcastic, which I thought to be very witty at the time, to my friend Mandy. Email was very new to me, and I hadn't gotten some of the nuances quite down yet. I've long since forgotten what I actually wrote, but her reply still sticks in my mind. It was critical, filled with hurt, and in retrospect I should have expected it. She read my email as a serious statement, which it most definitely was not. The lack of something... a ;), a :P... something, could have changed the entire tone of what I wrote. Ever since that email, I've tried to be extra mindful that not everyone sees sarcasm where it was intended, and that sometimes I need to add something extra to make sure that message gets across.

The problem for me is that smileys today seem sort of childish. Mind you, I never think sarcasm is childish, but I do think that smileys can be. You'll notice that I almost never use them on my blog, though I do use them in email and IM. That's why I think the idea of an Irony Mark is pure genius. It's a new punctuation mark (similar to a backwards question mark) which you can use to express irony or sarcasm. I need a new key on my keyboard!

Comments:

"Eats, Shoots, and Leaves" is funny, but I'm a language geek. The examples are funny.

An irony or sarcasm mark would be nice.

  Posted at February 02, 2006 9:57 PM by Anonymous Anonymous  
Post a Comment

About Me



Name: Nick
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States

I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.


 View My Profile

Archives
 Home Page

Subscribe to this Feed

Search Archives
Previous Posts
Did You Know?
Carnival of the Badger XXIV
Time Is Running Out
Another Blow for Freedom and Personal Safety
Slow News Day
Opening Up China Leads to Armageddon
More Proof For Ann's Theory
In Case You're Curious
Strangely Accurate Actually
Google Will Rule the World

Personal Links
Carnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey
del.icio.us Links
Flickr Photos
Blog Critics Reviews





Blogroll Me!

music
books
video
culture
politics
sports
gaming

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nick_Schweitzer. Make your own badge here.

Credits

Blogcritics: news and reviews







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

RSS-to-JavaScript.com

Listed on BlogShares

Design By maystar