The World According to Nick
My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.
Wednesday, July 13, 2005

This Statement Is a Lie 

I think I've mentioned several times already the relative who keeps the notebook with newspaper clippings talking about medical studies. On one page of the notebook he will have one study, and when the contradictory study comes out, he puts that on the other page.

Well... if you can believe it... a study has been done to prove that one third of studies are wrong:

Here’s some medical news you can trust: A new study confirms that what doctors once said was good for you often turns out to be bad - or at least not as great as initially thought.

The report is a review of major studies published in three influential medical journals between 1990 and 2003, including 45 highly publicized studies that initially claimed a drug or other treatment worked.

Subsequent research contradicted results of seven studies - 16 percent - and reported weaker results for seven others, an additional 16 percent. That means nearly one-third of the original results did not hold up, according to the study in Wednesday's Journal of the American Medical Association.

If the person who wrote this story did it with a straight face, then I give that person high marks... I couldn't stop laughing as I wrote this post. I'll be sure to blog about the study that will no doubt be published in a few months saying that most initial studies are correct. But wait... what does that mean about this study? My head hurts.

Comments:

Post a Comment

About Me



Name: Nick
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States

I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.


 View My Profile

Archives
 Home Page

Subscribe to this Feed

Search Archives
Previous Posts
Separation of Church and Electric Utilities?
Use Our Product and Die
Talk About Menacing
I Have Nothing Against Marriage
Would Someone Explain This To Me?
Who's the Knucklehead?
Count Me Among the 98%
Training Update
You Have to Fight, For Your Right, To Party
Stop Helping Us

Personal Links
Carnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey
del.icio.us Links
Flickr Photos
Blog Critics Reviews





Blogroll Me!

music
books
video
culture
politics
sports
gaming

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nick_Schweitzer. Make your own badge here.

Credits

Blogcritics: news and reviews







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

RSS-to-JavaScript.com

Listed on BlogShares

Design By maystar