The World According to Nick
My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.
Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Separation of Church and Electric Utilities? 

Chicago officials have turned off a light that was casting a shadow which some believed to look like Jesus:

City officials have turned off a streetlight that drew more than 250 people to see a shadow that some say resembles the image of Jesus Christ.

East Chicago Police Chief Angelo Machuca called an emergency meeting Sunday to recommend the light be turned off in the interest of public safety after nearby residents complained about blocked cars and visitors congregating until 5 a.m.

Several arrests were made Friday night after a large fight broke out in the area.

"The city respects everyone's religious beliefs, but it's getting to the point now where it's almost too dangerous" to leave the light on, said Damian Rico, the city's public relations director.

Just out of curiosity... what does it say about public safety if someone trips over something in the dark? I'm always curious about people who claim to see images of Jesus in places like shadows, water stains and moldy cheese sandwiches. How do you know what qualifies as looking like Jesus? No paintings exist from his time... and no... this doesn't count. I suppose you could go off the Shroud of Turin... but I have a strange feeling that people willing to stare at a sidewalk for hours on end probably haven't seen the shroud. Maybe I'm just being mean to the faithful. The people who claim to see images of Mary are even stranger to me because there is no Shroud of Mary, or anything equivalent.

If I don't post anything by tomorrow night... you'll know I'll have been struck down by lightning... in which case you can ignore everything I just said.

Comments:

Not ignore...repeat. That way I can end up where you do and can continue to read what you post there.

And you thought you could get out of blogging just by being killed. O ye of little faith.

DWolf

  Posted at July 12, 2005 11:09 PM by Blogger DreamingWolf  
Post a Comment

About Me



Name: Nick
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States

I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.


 View My Profile

Archives
 Home Page

Subscribe to this Feed

Search Archives
Previous Posts
Use Our Product and Die
Talk About Menacing
I Have Nothing Against Marriage
Would Someone Explain This To Me?
Who's the Knucklehead?
Count Me Among the 98%
Training Update
You Have to Fight, For Your Right, To Party
Stop Helping Us
Thoughts and Prayers to Our Friends Across the Pond

Personal Links
Carnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey
del.icio.us Links
Flickr Photos
Blog Critics Reviews





Blogroll Me!

music
books
video
culture
politics
sports
gaming

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nick_Schweitzer. Make your own badge here.

Credits

Blogcritics: news and reviews







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

RSS-to-JavaScript.com

Listed on BlogShares

Design By maystar