The World According to Nick
My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.
Monday, July 11, 2005

Who's the Knucklehead? 

Here is a story that happened a couple weeks ago... but I only saw recently. Apparently a man with baking soda on his socks caused an evacuation of a federal building:

Federal employees streamed out of the Jacob K. Javits Federal Building in downtown Manhattan, and a day care center on the premises was evacuated, after white powder was found in the sock of a man arriving for an immigration appointment around 9 a.m. on June 29.

After the initial commotion had died down, Tahir Taravari, a 55-year-old Staten Island resident originally from Macedonia, told the gathered security officials - from the police department, the fire department, the Federal Protective Service, the Joint Terrorism Task Force, the city Office of Emergency Management and the city Department of Environmental Protection - that the substance was merely "baking powder" he stirred into water to relieve his ulcer.

"He comes into a federal building with white powder in his socks," a federal source told the New York Daily News. "The guy is a total knucklehead."

I understand a lot of people in the terrorism prevention business are still worried about the whole anthrax thing, but personally, I don't think this guy was a "knucklehead". He was probably thinking, "I have an ulcer, and I'm late for my appointement. I don't have time to clean up my mess."

In other news, a new bill before Congress would ban the eating of powdered donuts in any federal building, or within a 500 foot radius of a federal building.

Comments:

Post a Comment

About Me



Name: Nick
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States

I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.


 View My Profile

Archives
 Home Page

Subscribe to this Feed

Search Archives
Previous Posts
Count Me Among the 98%
Training Update
You Have to Fight, For Your Right, To Party
Stop Helping Us
Thoughts and Prayers to Our Friends Across the Pond
Better Late Than Never
Now That's Class
This Would Be Funny
My Suggestion...
Who the Hell Bankrolled That Study?

Personal Links
Carnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey
del.icio.us Links
Flickr Photos
Blog Critics Reviews





Blogroll Me!

music
books
video
culture
politics
sports
gaming

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nick_Schweitzer. Make your own badge here.

Credits

Blogcritics: news and reviews







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

RSS-to-JavaScript.com

Listed on BlogShares

Design By maystar