The World According to Nick
My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.
Friday, July 29, 2005

Can I Have That Job? 

Quick straw poll for my readers. I'm feeling in a very Peter Gibbons mood right now, so I'll start with an Office Space quote:

Peter Gibbons: Well see, they wrote all this bank software, and, uh, to save space, they used two digits instead of four. So, like, 98 instead of 1998? Uh, so I go through these thousands of lines of code and, uh... it doesn't really matter. I uh, I don't like my job, and, uh, I don't think I'm gonna go anymore.
Joanna: You're just not gonna go?
Peter Gibbons: Yeah.
Joanna: Won't you get fired?
Peter Gibbons: I don't know, but I really don't like it, and, uh, I'm not gonna go.
Joanna: So you're gonna quit?
Peter Gibbons: Nuh-uh. Not really. Uh... I'm just gonna stop going.

So here is the question for you, my few but loyal readers. What would happen if you didn't go to work?
A. Get fired
2. Not get paid for the days you didn't go
III. Absolutely nothing, in fact you'd contemplate giving yourself a raise for a job well done.

I'd be willing to venture that for the majority of us, it would at least be 2 and quite possibly be A. However, it turns out that those who represent us in Congress don't like that idea, and have decided that they prefer III. There is the silly requirement that members of Congress are not to be paid for days that they are absent (unless sick). To The People looked at the Congressional Quarterly and found out that (H/T to The Agitator):

The draft Legislative Branch conference report, approved Tuesday by conferees, would exempt senators from that requirement - which hasn't been enforced for as long as anyone can remember, according to Wayne Allard, R-Colo., Legislative Branch Appropriations Subcommittee chairman.

"If you’re going to ignore a law, let's get it off the books," Allard said. "That's just good government."

No, good government is enforcing the laws that are on the books! Good government is holding yourself accountable to the same laws that the rest of us have to live by! Good government is punishing Congressmen and Senators who shirk their duty! This is anything but good government!

Comments:

Post a Comment

About Me



Name: Nick
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States

I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.


 View My Profile

Archives
 Home Page

Subscribe to this Feed

Search Archives
Previous Posts
They Need Protest Babes
What's Not Being Said
You Do Watch Battlestar Don't You?
It's Called a Raspberry
Is That Honestly What This Is All About?
Dear God What Next?
Why Hillary Won't Be President
You Forgot Administrative Costs
Shouldn't This Be Illegal?
That's One Angry Beast

Personal Links
Carnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey
del.icio.us Links
Flickr Photos
Blog Critics Reviews





Blogroll Me!

music
books
video
culture
politics
sports
gaming

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nick_Schweitzer. Make your own badge here.

Credits

Blogcritics: news and reviews







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

RSS-to-JavaScript.com

Listed on BlogShares

Design By maystar