The World According to Nick
My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.
Thursday, March 24, 2005

Get Rid of Them All 

The Journal is reporting on an effort to shrink the size of the Dept. of Public Works car fleet. As usual when government perks funded by taxpayers are threatened, there will be heated debate:

Amid intense scrutiny of the number of city vehicles and use by managers, a Milwaukee Common Council committee voted Wednesday to give Department of Public Works officials 30 days to decide how to cut the fleet.

During an often emotional meeting, aldermen slammed DPW officials and heaped praise on Dan Blosser, who last week was fired as fleet manager days after submitting a report that called for getting rid of underused vehicles to save money.

At one point, Blosser - who recently had indicated he did not want his job back - pledged to save $5 million in one year if he were put back to work. Later, Ald. Bob Bauman, who is an attorney, told Blosser he had a solid case if he sued the city.
...
"I had one guy tell me I'm threatening his family's second car," he said, voice rising. "We're laying off people left and right. You can lose your city car or you can lose your job. That's where we are budgetarily."

I'm taking away your family's second car?! Your family's car? Excuse me?! I don't pay taxes so that your family can have a second car. If we at one point in time had enough money in the coffers to afford a second car for your family, then we should have cut taxes - not bought you a car! Personally I'd like that money back to help pay for my only car thank you very much. I don't care where we are, or were budgetarily, he should never have gotten a second family car in the first place. Government budgets don't grow on trees... they come from people... and government employees don't think about that enough. I'd like to know who that employee was so I could give him a piece of my mind. Get a car loan like the rest of us.

Comments:

Post a Comment

About Me



Name: Nick
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States

I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.


 View My Profile

Archives
 Home Page

Subscribe to this Feed

Search Archives
Previous Posts
Delusions of Grandeur
I've Lost My Appetite
A Few Good Journalists
Don't Raid the Special Funds
I Just Don't Know
Addiction
Have It Your Way
Permit Me Please
Car Enthusiasts Take Note
Let's Change That

Personal Links
Carnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey
del.icio.us Links
Flickr Photos
Blog Critics Reviews





Blogroll Me!

music
books
video
culture
politics
sports
gaming

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nick_Schweitzer. Make your own badge here.

Credits

Blogcritics: news and reviews







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

RSS-to-JavaScript.com

Listed on BlogShares

Design By maystar