The World According to Nick
My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.
Thursday, November 11, 2004

What Do You Workout To? 

I bought a cycling trainer last winter and have really enjoyed using it in the off season. It's a special stand which you mount a bike on, so you can use it like a stationary bike. The back tire makes a friction fit against a magnetic flywheel on mine, so I can add extra resistance. I like it better than a gym style stationary bike because this is my bike. This bike is especially fit to me, so not only can I work on my power and endurance, I can also practice my form.

The problem is one of motivation. This is true of any indoor exercise equipment. Going outside to run or bike is great, because all I have to do is motivate myself to go half way. After that I'm stuck with the other half. Indoors is a totally different matter. I have to motivate myself the entire way, which is twice the mental effort. So I try to workout while watching TV. But what should I watch? I can't watch normal television because of the commercials. As soon as one of those comes on, I either start to loose my motivation, or I have to switch channels which puts a crimp in my form. So I tend to pop in a DVD.

But what DVD should I watch? Last night I worked out for an hour watching episodes of Sex and the City Season 6. I can't help but think that this is somehow a very strange selection for workout entertainment. Yet I also can't think of a really good alternative, so I watch that since I don't have a better idea. What do you workout to?

Comments:

Post a Comment

About Me



Name: Nick
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States

I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.


 View My Profile

Archives
 Home Page

Subscribe to this Feed

Search Archives
Previous Posts
Speaking of Winamp
What's the Point?
Anonymity and Venom
Oh... If Madonna Says So
Remember Those Activist Judges?
Endorsing or Accepting?
East vs. West
Nick Burns on the Battle Field
Privatizing Space
How to Win a Presidential Election

Personal Links
Carnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey
del.icio.us Links
Flickr Photos
Blog Critics Reviews





Blogroll Me!

music
books
video
culture
politics
sports
gaming

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nick_Schweitzer. Make your own badge here.

Credits

Blogcritics: news and reviews







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

RSS-to-JavaScript.com

Listed on BlogShares

Design By maystar