The World According to Nick
My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.
Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Ahhh... The Power of Cheese 

The Agitator has a link to a story about how cheese is really a drug:

An American doctor has claimed that cheese can be as addictive as morphine.

Dr. Neal Barnard, president of the Physicians Committee on Responsible Medicine, says cheese is addictive because it contains small amounts of morphine from cows' liver.
...
He says: "There's a biochemical reason many of us feel we can't live without our daily fix.

First of all, this "doctor" works for a rather duplicitous organization called PCRM which you can read about here. But even ignoring that... how stupid is that statement saying that we can't live without "our daily fix". First all, I love cheese. I live in Wisconsin which produces a whole lot of it. (Yes Shannon... California makes more, but Wisconsin's is better). But even I can go entire days or a week at a time without consuming it. I have a harder time saying that about coffee. I'm sure this "doctor" could care less about caffeine addiction since no animals are involved though. More importantly... for biochemical reasons, we can't live without our daily fix of food in general. It's called hunger. You know that feeling in your stomach you get when you haven't eaten anything, let alone cheese? By most definitions, food in general is considered addictive.

This particular "doctor" (and yes I put doctor in quotes for a good reason) is a member of a radical animal rights group that is against eating all animal products, and tries to create medical reasons why you shouldn't eat those things, no matter how bogus. What's silly is that his claims don't stand up to even the simple scrutiny of a simple reading, yet people believe this crap.

Comments:

Post a Comment

About Me



Name: Nick
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States

I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.


 View My Profile

Archives
 Home Page

Subscribe to this Feed

Search Archives
Previous Posts
Not Thinking About the Consequences
Renaming the Political Parties
A Fisking
Providing Free WiFi
Cranberry Sauce Fatwa
Bumper Stumpers
Choke a Smoke
I'll Never Complain About My Job Again
Need to Link to Get Linked
It's Not Even Thanksgiving Yet!

Personal Links
Carnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey
del.icio.us Links
Flickr Photos
Blog Critics Reviews





Blogroll Me!

music
books
video
culture
politics
sports
gaming

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nick_Schweitzer. Make your own badge here.

Credits

Blogcritics: news and reviews







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

RSS-to-JavaScript.com

Listed on BlogShares

Design By maystar