The World According to Nick
My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.
Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Choke a Smoke 

You know winter is approaching when you start to see the groups outside the building gather around for warmth as they take a smoke break. I went outside this afternoon to get away from my desk, and to take a walk around the building. There they all were, huddling next to the building together, even though it's really not that cold. I think they were practicing the routine for when the air is bitter cold, and the wind is howling, and the snow pelts you in the face. As I walked around the building, I saw the remnants of smokers past... old butts laying on the ground, rusted tin cans full of water and half smoked cigarettes.

Why people just drop their butts on the ground still baffles me. Right next to the building are several containers specifically for them... yet as if in protest of having to smoke outside, they defiantly strew their trash around. I wonder how much less complaining non-smokers would do if smokers would simply throw away their cigarette butts. I personally have no problem with smokers, yet I'm always baffled when I see someone throw a cigarette out the window of their car instead of using their ash tray. We persecute the smoking population far too much. You'd think the government would be nicer to them since they collect so much money off of cigarette taxes. Maybe we can create an incentive program... smokers use ash trays, and Uncle Sam cuts cigarette taxes. What do you think?

Comments:

Post a Comment

About Me



Name: Nick
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States

I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.


 View My Profile

Archives
 Home Page

Subscribe to this Feed

Search Archives
Previous Posts
I'll Never Complain About My Job Again
Need to Link to Get Linked
It's Not Even Thanksgiving Yet!
Random Funny Links
You Know You're a Geek When...
Family Technical Support... How May I Help You?
Pancake Hypocrisy
Begging for Censorship
Required Reading
Putting Genies Back in Bottles

Personal Links
Carnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey
del.icio.us Links
Flickr Photos
Blog Critics Reviews





Blogroll Me!

music
books
video
culture
politics
sports
gaming

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nick_Schweitzer. Make your own badge here.

Credits

Blogcritics: news and reviews







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

RSS-to-JavaScript.com

Listed on BlogShares

Design By maystar