The World According to Nick
My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.
Monday, November 22, 2004

I'll Never Complain About My Job Again 

Especially after reading this article on Popular Science (hat tip to Slashdot). For the second year in a row, Popular Science has compiled a list of some of the worst jobs in science. Think your job is bad? Try being an Anal Wart Researcher:

"I see about 15 butts a day, and a third of them have warts," says nurse practitioner Naomi Jay of the University of California at San Francisco.
...
The bright side? "In 13 years I've only been pooped on twice, and that's not bad."

Or how about a Tampon Squeezer:

Normally, researchers would use a centrifuge to extract fluids to be tested. But this is the one way in which the tampon is not an optimal specimen-collecting tool, because its true purpose is to hold liquid in. "Optimal recovery," Garland says, "requires manual squeezing." Wearing gloves, of course.

As it turns out, number 11 is a job which I had in college... a Computer Help Desk Tech:

Don’t hate them because they’re inscrutable. These are people who love the subtle power and intricacies of computers, yet who must spend their days incarcerated in windowless rooms telephonically holding the hands of 16-bit blockheads.

Things never looked so good on a Monday morning.

Comments:

Post a Comment

About Me



Name: Nick
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States

I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.


 View My Profile

Archives
 Home Page

Subscribe to this Feed

Search Archives
Previous Posts
Need to Link to Get Linked
It's Not Even Thanksgiving Yet!
Random Funny Links
You Know You're a Geek When...
Family Technical Support... How May I Help You?
Pancake Hypocrisy
Begging for Censorship
Required Reading
Putting Genies Back in Bottles
People are Nuts

Personal Links
Carnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey
del.icio.us Links
Flickr Photos
Blog Critics Reviews





Blogroll Me!

music
books
video
culture
politics
sports
gaming

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nick_Schweitzer. Make your own badge here.

Credits

Blogcritics: news and reviews







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

RSS-to-JavaScript.com

Listed on BlogShares

Design By maystar