The World According to Nick
My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.
Sunday, September 12, 2004

Did You Remember? 

Someone actually asked me yesterday whether I remembered that it was the 3rd anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks. More interestingly she asked whether I did anything special in remembrance. Honestly I didn't do anything special, because I haven't forgotten since that day. I didn't need a special day to remember, because the lessons of that day are pretty well ingrained in my brain. That's not to say that doing anything special, having a moment of silence, having a tribute is bad... of course not.

Of course a lot of what you see as far as memorials go seem to defy the fact that they were terrorist attacks. When you hear people talking about it, those words don't come out very often any more. I'm hearing more and more often things like the 9/11 tragedy. While it was obviously tragic, that seems to deflect attention from what caused the tragedy. I think more and more lately people want to think of what happened that day like you think of a hurricane in Florida... some sort of natural disaster.

The History Channel the last couple of days have been playing the whole thing pretty hard. They replayed a piece they did last year on the World Trade Center... talking about it's history, how it was built, and deconstructing it's demise... seemingly rivet by rivet. What struck me was that it seemed like they were saying that if the insulation hadn't blown off the steel, that if the sprinklers hadn't of failed, maybe the buildings would have stood, and lives saved. Wrong. If terrorists didn't crash airplanes into the buildings, lives would have been saved... let's never forget that fact.

Comments:

Post a Comment

About Me



Name: Nick
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States

I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.


 View My Profile

Archives
 Home Page

Subscribe to this Feed

Search Archives
Previous Posts
Rest Week
Undisclosed Sources II
How Do You Convince Voters?
Undisclosed Sources
Food Service Rants
Goodbye Indian Larry
My Own Computer Stupidities
Bus Plunge!
Chilling in the Country
Judging the Speech

Personal Links
Carnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey
del.icio.us Links
Flickr Photos
Blog Critics Reviews





Blogroll Me!

music
books
video
culture
politics
sports
gaming

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nick_Schweitzer. Make your own badge here.

Credits

Blogcritics: news and reviews







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

RSS-to-JavaScript.com

Listed on BlogShares

Design By maystar