The World According to Nick
My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

When Email is Misrouted 

One of my cube compatriots received this email the other day, and felt the need to forward it to me (the names have been removed to protect the innocent):

From: ********, ****
Sent: Wednesday, June 09, 2004 14:33
To: ******, ****
Subject:

We were also wondering how to go about getting new part for the 2 stitch heads we have that are stripped out where the kip handle goes because we could not find any in parts, and don't know what the name of the part or part number is because we also couldn't find anything on it in the stitch head manual.

He had no idea what to make of it (besides the obvious run-on sentence). Actually, somebody accidentally sent him the email, mistaking him for someone else in the company's global address book. It did lead to an interesting discussion as to what we thought a kip handle was. The consensus that we finally came to was that several years back some poor guy named Kip probably got his arm torn off by this handle, and it was forever renamed in his honor. Maybe that's a stretch.

This whole thing did remind me of the last place where I worked. Everyone was listed in that company's global address book by first name, last name. There was another Nick in that company (he worked in IT), who's last name came after mine. So if they just typed Nick in Outlook and hit send, it came to me. I got quite a bit of his email (mostly some really clueless computer support questions). Unfortunately, nothing really good and juicy ever came my way. :)

And of course, every once in a while I would get a call on my phone from the President of the company. My phone would ring, I would look on the Caller ID window and see his name, and say to myself, oh shit, what now. I'd answer the phone, and he'd quickly realize he called the wrong Nick... he needed IT help. Not once did he ever call my phone actually looking for me. Maybe that should have been a clue in retrospect. Oh well.

So what's the best misrouted email you've ever received?

Comments:

Post a Comment

About Me



Name: Nick
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States

I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.


 View My Profile

Archives
 Home Page

Subscribe to this Feed

Search Archives
Previous Posts
The Blind Leading the Drunk?
Pet Peeves
Coco Cox?
More Good News From Iraq
How Is This Different?
Why Did We Bother?
Time Saving Inventions
Subtle Management Hints
What Makes a Blog Topic?
Goodbye Gipper

Personal Links
Carnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey
del.icio.us Links
Flickr Photos
Blog Critics Reviews





Blogroll Me!

music
books
video
culture
politics
sports
gaming

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nick_Schweitzer. Make your own badge here.

Credits

Blogcritics: news and reviews







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

RSS-to-JavaScript.com

Listed on BlogShares

Design By maystar