The World According to Nick
My take on Software, Technology, Politics, and anything else I feel like talking about.
Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Pet Peeves 

I live in Wisconsin. You can't live in Wisconsin without being completely inundated with news about the Green Bay Packers. It's just the way it is, especially if you like football as I do. Now then, I'm not a Packer fan (not that I have anything against them), I'm actually a Kansas City Chiefs fan, but that's not the point of this particular post.

Anyone familiar with the Green Bay Packers (or NFL football for that matter) knows of the "Frozen Tundra", which is the nickname for Lambeau Field (the Green Bay Packer's stadium). This name has always bothered me. Its redundant. Here is the definition from dictionary.com

tun·dra (tŭn´drə)
n.
A treeless area between the icecap and the tree line of Arctic regions, having a permanently frozen subsoil and supporting low-growing vegetation such as lichens, mosses, and stunted shrubs.

So calling it Frozen Tundra is really calling it Frozen Frozen Ground (it's really really frozen, not just frozen). Ironically, there are heating coils under the grass now, so it hasn't been frozen in a really long time anyway (although the stadium itself gets damned cold). Someone who didn't know better would probably infer from this use that tundra was really just another word for ground, field, or turf or something. Of course I had thought that most people probably do know what tundra actually means so no worries... until yesterday when I heard a radio commercial for a local spa advertising gift certificates for Father's Day. They talked about how you should get the gift certificates instead of say, a round of golf where he can be frustrated on the green tundra. Green tundra? Its summer, the golf course is no longer frozen, and even during the winter its really not tundra. Tundra is not just ground folks.

Oh well. Just one of those little things I tend to pick up on.

Comments:

Post a Comment

About Me



Name: Nick
Home: Wauwatosa, WI, United States

I'm a Software Consultant in the Milwaukee area. Among various geeky pursuits, I'm also an amateur triathlete, and enjoy rock climbing. I also like to think I'm a political pundit.


 View My Profile

Archives
 Home Page

Subscribe to this Feed

Search Archives
Previous Posts
Coco Cox?
More Good News From Iraq
How Is This Different?
Why Did We Bother?
Time Saving Inventions
Subtle Management Hints
What Makes a Blog Topic?
Goodbye Gipper
Shhh... Don't Tell Anyone
Reporters vs. Journalists

Personal Links
Carnival of the Badger
The Coding Monkey
del.icio.us Links
Flickr Photos
Blog Critics Reviews





Blogroll Me!

music
books
video
culture
politics
sports
gaming

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nick_Schweitzer. Make your own badge here.

Credits

Blogcritics: news and reviews







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

RSS-to-JavaScript.com

Listed on BlogShares

Design By maystar